Question: Swollen Finger tip

taylorc - Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:18 pm

My finger started hurting very badly yesterday. It started swelling on the right side of my ring finger by my nail and then has wrapped around and now my finger tip is hard and swollen also. This morning it has started turning green around my fingernail. It throbs and is very painful to touch. I don't recall a bug bite or anything like that. If you know anything I could do to relieve the pain please let me know. Icing isnt working! thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:51 am

User avatar It sounds to me like a simple skin infection. For any number of reasons you can get bacteria into a tiny opening in the skin, not even big enough to notice. Soak the finger in very warm water, pat dry and apply an antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin, then cover with a bandaid. Most likely it will heal itself. The green is the infection gathered together with your body's immune system sending white blood cells to kill the bacteria.

Some people get a little relief if they can lance it with a sterilized needle and allow the pus to drain, but again if you do that, be sure the finger is very clean and apply the ointment and bandaid after the pus oozes out. It is important to keep it clean while it heals. Change the bandaid periodically so you can do this and examine the healing.

If it gets worse, the infection seems to spread, or you notice fever, streaks moving up your fingers, etc. be sure to see a doctor.

|