Question: dealing with pain in my lungs since 1999

PatB - Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:08 am

I have had alot of problems with my lungs over the years with allergies and lung infections. In 1999 I excerianced my first numothorax and first chest tube. To weeks later I was back in the hospital with Left lung. was then sent to Billings MT to see a specialist to see what was going on with my lungs he ordered a CT and the next day i headed back up there, well during the 90 mile drive the right lung went down again. Got my CT and then rushed into surgery they took a bit of the lung off at the top were it was covered by bleps. Then roughed up the sack and lung so they would heal together, this was also done to my left when it collapsed again. well since then I have seen doctor after doctor around these parts and a good pain doctor he looked me over and checked for chest pain coming from my ribs and didnt find no presure points that were not painful. we talked it over and he said it was not unheard of to have pain or the organs but no treatment at this time. my pain lever raises the more i do in a day say as in working. talking to much or laughing can get to me as well. I have been cut off from pain killers and this last year i have had to deal with alot of pain and playing the nasty game of over counter pills and how many do ya take before it unsafe. what im wondering is if i have missed a point of how to deal with this pain problem it rules my life some days and the last two years i get tired easy but lung saterationg is good around 98 to 94. I applied for SSI and all they told me was i was fine hmmm wish i was would love to have my life back the way it was 8) but i keep going hopeing one day the pain will just go away. they told me its a rare diesce (spelling) that is not much known about it but it eats the lung tissue and there is no stopping it and the pain might be because my lungs and organs are in a tight rib cage. doc said it was one of the smallest he has worked on. but anyways there is a story bit long and drawn out but not sure how to make it short and sweet thanks for your time
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:57 pm

User avatar Hi!

What exactly is the name of the rare disease that your lungs suffer from? In any case, pain will not be part of any disease in this modern age. The arsenals to tackle pain are plenty and various. You might want to fix an appointment with a pain clinic to titrate the right amount of the right medicine for pain. In the presence of pain, some of the pain medications do not have a ceiling effect as to the limit to which the dosage of the medication can be increased. So, one needn't worry regarding the bad effects of drugs, as long as the person is still in the painful state.

Hope this helps.

bill
 PatB - Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:51 pm

HI Bill
well the funny thing was they told me there was no name for it because it was so rare there was no research going into it, I know the pain is not from that but from the surgeries that were done and four chest tubes. all they could tell me was that it looked as tho it was something that i was born with........... i don't know im so sick of going to doc to doc and hearing the same thing about that. I am just sick of dealing with pain to the point of a very painful ordeal. my family doctor is the one that I have gotten into with pain pills and the such, I will never go back to him for this reason it was not like i was abusing them 30 pills would last sometimes up to 3 months i would only take them when i could not deal with the pain no more, lately I have not been as active but winter coming on is always my roughest time for the cold just makes things worse off. and this year I have had to do alot getting ready for winter so the pain level has increase the last few weeks but with no money im stuck dealing with it the best i can and taking over the dose of over the counter pills alot of the time. I just am at a point of frustration and with winter my depression will be coming back good and strong so thought i might see what this site might bring to my world of pain i thank you for your time but doctors at this point are not a opption till money comes back into my life
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:59 pm

User avatar Hi!

Pain relief has its advocates who don't feel that pain should be a reason to empty a person's wallet. If you check out in your community, you might find pain clinics willing to help people in chronic pain without the crunch of having been to a doctor. Welfare groups in palliative care can be checked out with to find out if you qualify for their care.

bill

|