News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Postive ANA, High T3, T4 - High WBC

mrsdanskin - Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:32 pm

Hello,

I have been ill for about a 1 1/2 years now and I would like my life back but for today I will settle for a few answers if possible. I have had many different symptoms.

Symptoms
• Fatigue
• Joint/muscle aches
• Migraines
• Numbness/tingling hands
• Lower back pain
Neck pain
• Mouth sores

• Muscle weakness – Cannot use can opener, open or close my pill bottles. I am right handed now have to carry items like the basket at the grocery store in my left hand because my right arm is too weak.

• Eye twitches
Pain/pressure in my ears
• Face numbness - Doctor diagnosed Trigeminal Neuralgia
• Racy Heart
• Thinning Hair
• Dizziness
• Weight Loss (Unintentional but not unwelcome)
• Stomach pain

Test Results

• Abnormal Sleep Deprived EEG (yet to see the neurologist)
• Positive ANA
• Elevated White Blood Count
• Elevated Neutrophil Count
• High T3, T4
• High Total Cholesterol
• High Blood Calcium
• Blood in Urine
• Holter Monitor – Rare PAC noted but otherwise normal
• Blood Pressure – 144/90

I have stomach inflammation confirmed by a gastroscopy and I am seeing a gastroenterologist. I have a history of Nephritis and now the Hematologist I am seeing said that my T3, T4 counts are high and indicate that I will develop Hashimoto’s Thyroidism which from what I read is inflammation of the thyroid gland.
What is going on with me? I am 32 years old and all of this inflammation? I am out of work temporarily on short term disability but I need answers to get my life back on track. It seems to me whatever is going on is related because it all comes back to inflammation. My sed rate is normal and RA negative. I am not sure what to do anymore. I know I have something but what is the question. Could I have Lupus or are there any tests I should request to have completed?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:01 pm

User avatar Hello Mrsdanskin,

When reading your symptoms I was suspicious of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. SLE can present in a number of ways. Hyperthyroidism (elevated T3 and T4) are not classic findings in SLE; however, autoimmune diseases tend to run together so it is very possible that you have developed an autoimmune hyperthyroidism along with SLE.

I would recommend you see a rheumatologist to have this evaluated further.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here