News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: pain under right arm

pattyk8k - Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:36 pm

i am a 40 year old female and i have been experiencing a sharp pain under my right arm that radiates to my upper arm and leaves my fingers a little numb. this only happens when i get up from a sitting position.. and mostly in the afternoons. it doesn't occur when i get up from bed in the morning or if i get up from laying down.. only when sitting and not every time. i do not have enlarged lymph nodes, i do not have any lumps in my right breast. i did experience a sharp pain in my back on the right side one morning when i stretched in bed under an open window on a very chilly morning. the pain under my arm started a few days later. it lasts for under a minute and is very sharp and kind of pulsates.... i would like to know what could possibly be causing this. i don't experience any shortness of breath or chest pain...just under my right arm and into my upper arm. any help would be greatly appreciated. 8) thanks alot in advance.
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:33 pm

User avatar Hi!

Radiating/shooting pains associated with paraesthesias like numbness are usually due to afflictions of the nerves aka neuropathy. Usual causes of neuropathy include trauma, vitamin deficiency (B complex), diabetes, hypertension, renal failure, drug side-effect, etc.

bill

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here