News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Pain in both arms and now legs as well

countrygirl - Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:43 pm

I am 46 yr old female with multipe spinal problems - have had recent mri of whole spine. cervical spine - herniated disc and arthritis at C5/6- thoracic spine - neurofibroma at T4 ( not pressing on anything) with mild degeneration at 4 levels. Lumbar spine - mild herniation at L4/5 and L5/S1 with degeneration at all levels and arthritis. I have had endless tests over last 6 mnths for other problems so lots of blood tests - 6 weeks ago full blood count and thyroid plus had in last 6 momths ESR, liver, kidhey, potassium etc and blood clotting factors all normal. ultrasounds of pelvis and abdomen normal. sigmoidoscopy, occult blood and complete stool anlysis normal.

8 weeks ago i gripped with my left hand and got stabbing pain in wrist extending to hand/fingers and lower arm also inner elbow . Could not grip as hand so painful. This spread to upper arm pain in muscle at front and back. Then it spread to right arm with exact same pains in same places! Again I can be okay but as soon as I grip with either hand I get the stabbing pain in werist and this sets off the rest of pain for day.
I wake up every morning with stabbing pain in lower back same place on both sides!!
Now I am getting stabbing pains in ankles and lower legs - fleeting but all over.

I go back to my Dr in a couple of days. I cannot imagine my spinal problems could cause such extensive nerve type pain all at once - I haven't been checked out for rheumatology blood tests and wondered if this needed doing or is there something obvious that I am missing.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:45 pm

User avatar Hello,
I suspect they are ruling out one thing after another. Sometimes process of elimination is the only way to get to the bottom of these things.

I wonder if you have fibromyalgia - something that does not show up on blood tests, MRIs, etc. I'm sure your doctor will rule this one out as the investigation continues. In the meantime if you can get some daily moderate exercise, in spite of the pain, you may find you get some relief over time. It may not be immediate.

I don't know what else to suggest beyond this.

Good luck, and please let us know if you learn anything.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here