Question: Pain in both arms and now legs as well

countrygirl - Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:43 pm

I am 46 yr old female with multipe spinal problems - have had recent mri of whole spine. cervical spine - herniated disc and arthritis at C5/6- thoracic spine - neurofibroma at T4 ( not pressing on anything) with mild degeneration at 4 levels. Lumbar spine - mild herniation at L4/5 and L5/S1 with degeneration at all levels and arthritis. I have had endless tests over last 6 mnths for other problems so lots of blood tests - 6 weeks ago full blood count and thyroid plus had in last 6 momths ESR, liver, kidhey, potassium etc and blood clotting factors all normal. ultrasounds of pelvis and abdomen normal. sigmoidoscopy, occult blood and complete stool anlysis normal.

8 weeks ago i gripped with my left hand and got stabbing pain in wrist extending to hand/fingers and lower arm also inner elbow . Could not grip as hand so painful. This spread to upper arm pain in muscle at front and back. Then it spread to right arm with exact same pains in same places! Again I can be okay but as soon as I grip with either hand I get the stabbing pain in werist and this sets off the rest of pain for day.
I wake up every morning with stabbing pain in lower back same place on both sides!!
Now I am getting stabbing pains in ankles and lower legs - fleeting but all over.

I go back to my Dr in a couple of days. I cannot imagine my spinal problems could cause such extensive nerve type pain all at once - I haven't been checked out for rheumatology blood tests and wondered if this needed doing or is there something obvious that I am missing.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:45 pm

I suspect they are ruling out one thing after another. Sometimes process of elimination is the only way to get to the bottom of these things.

I wonder if you have fibromyalgia - something that does not show up on blood tests, MRIs, etc. I'm sure your doctor will rule this one out as the investigation continues. In the meantime if you can get some daily moderate exercise, in spite of the pain, you may find you get some relief over time. It may not be immediate.

I don't know what else to suggest beyond this.

Good luck, and please let us know if you learn anything.

|