News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Gout and Erectile Dysfunction

tlwhitehouse - Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:22 am

My husband was recently diagnosed with Gout...a condition I suspect he has had for about 2 years, given when the syptoms started....at this same time he began having trouble maintaining an erection. He drinks moderately to heavy, but has cut down since taking Allopurinol. Is there any correlation between hyperurecemia and erectile dysfuction? Will improving his uric acid levels help with sexual functioning?
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:39 pm

User avatar Hi!

I am unaware of any relation between erectile dysfunction and gout, and could not find any source which states such a connection. I would welcome any information on this too.

bill
 Ian - Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:43 pm

I have used Allopurinol since the mid ninetes as a gout treatment. About 5 years ago I started to experience erectile disfunction. This has got slowly and progressively worse until I know find it impossible to maintain an erection. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has the same problem and if why the there maybe there is a link?
 or_guy - Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:37 pm

Hi there Dr,

I have the same problem. I experienced an onset of gout around 2 years ago and then my erectile function progressively became worse until now I can hardly maintain erection. I found that I can have a night time erection, but it is difficult to maintain when I wake up. Even masturbation is rarely possible. Please do search again for someone doing a research in this area and come back to us.

Best Regards

Lonely in Portland :-(

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here