Question: Chest/Shoulder/Arm Pains

jackie.cox - Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:11 am

Background:

Fibromyalgia

-Constant tendonitis (in one area or another)

-Random shooting, stabbing, aching, throbbing pains
(Hips, Knees, Chest, Elbows, Shoulders, Hands...)

-Joints are sensitive and weak; especially after exertion (running, etc)
Walking increases pressure on hips/knees and the connective tissue/muscle feels paper thin as though I might tear it with the slightest move

-Sporadic muscle spasms/twitching
(Restless leg syndrome)

-Frequently suffer from headaches/migraines

-Dizziness/Lightheadedness upon standing

-Fatigued/extremely drained all the time

JUNE 08: I was beaten by multiple men

-Face & chest punched repeatedly

-Head slammed into concrete several times

Trip to ER 1 week later resulted in the diagnosis of bruised ribs & possible cheekbone fracture

No x-rays were done (advised against it by the nurse because of the risks)

End of JUNE-JULY

-EXTEMELY ILL, with no idea of the causation

-Could breathe in only to a certain extent without intense lung (?) pain

-Nauseus, but without throwing up (I described as feeling sea-sick)
Could not eat or drink ANYTHING but water without feeling ill

-Shaking/Fevers

-Throat was sore and gradually got worse and worse until I ended up in ER because I could no longer swallow even water
(UNBEARABLE pain)

Diagnosed with Mononucleosis after being hooked up to an IV for fluids and drugs.
Given Hycodan for pain, along with advised bedrest (no work) for 7 days
Visited ER again after a week, because medicine was not helping and pain was getting worse.
Received another IV for fluids/drugs & steroid pills were given

-Throat issue gradually went away

-Weakness and fatigue (associated with mono) persisted

-Panick attacks/constant crying and depression for no known reason

-Huge trouble sleeping/insomnia
[*]One night I stayed awake in bed for HOURS, eyes open, dreaming; practically hallucinating.
Another night I literally found it IMPOSSIBLE to sleep.
My body and mind would not let me, yet this was far from a typical case of "I can't get to sleep"; something I know well.

AUGUST

-Onset of chest pain

-Sharp, stabbing pain beneath left breastbone

-Feel inflammation between ribs and breast bone on both sides (more so on the left)

-Severe pain in shoulders (much more prominent in left)

-Off and on aching pain in neck (both sides)

-Pain in upper arms

-Slight pain in back of head

I saw a doctor because of these symptoms, but failed to mention a lot of them, not necessarily thinking they were connected at the time.

Settled on the idea that it was inflammation in the chest from the mono and would go away soon.

Blood test revealed anemia/low red blood cells (I was told to take vitamins, even though I had already been doing so for awhile, in case of iron-deficiency)

Chest x-rays showed nothing abnormal

-Went to lie down one night and was shocked by a thousand needles splintering all over in my chest; Sat up immediately and did not go to bed for fear of what might happen

-Indulged in some fried rice one day, and while eating, experienced sharp, intense pains in center of chest

-Recently laughed a little too hard at work with a friend and scared her with my sudden reaction to a sharp stabbing pain under left breastbone; scared the hell out of me and I had to pause for a few moments to breathe and recover

-Possible heart palpitations (I feel it flutter or it seems to stop for a moment or skip a beat and I'm afraid it will give up altogether).
I would only have to assume, however, that if anything were wrong, a doctor would have picked up on it after listening with a stethescope.
I do have a friend (with a heart murmur) who listened to my chest once, only to tell me he thought I had a heart murmur, as well (of course he's not exactly a doctor...)

Doctor's visit was two weeks ago, and the pain is not going away, even with motrin or excedrin.

It hurts just as badly as it did before, if not worse.
I have this overwheelming feeling that something is wrong.
It could be something harmless, but I need to know.
I feel helpless, and I have an all-around feeling of ILLNESS.
I can't secape the sense of disease in my core; it's frightening and bothersome.
It scares me most, because this is unlike anything I've ever experienced before, DESPITE the fact that I am used to large amounts of pain from the fibromyalgia.

YESTERDAY
I hadn't had alcohol in a couple months because of the mono/high levels of enzymes in liver.
Decided to drink with a friend last night: two glasses of white wine, and a glass of bailey's irish cream a little later.
I woke up to a ton of facial pain, around the jaw.
Told her my face hurt, and she laughed.
Entire body feels TERRIBLE and my mind is in a fog.
Much more so than a regular hangover, though, I promise.
I don't drink too often, and this has happened before; I don't have to have much.
Just now realizing it might not be normal.
I mention it to people and they act as though I must have had a TON to drink.
It lasts for at least an entire day, sometimes a few, and makes me rethink whether I should drink at ALL; even a glass.
It's not worth the pain, or empty, deathly feeling in my gut.

Please....help?
I am seeing another doctor soon, but in the meantime all of this is driving me absolutely crazy.
I feel as though it is one thing after another.
While these things may or may not be related, I thought it was important to include everything, in order to make a more accurate diagnosis.
The fact that some symptoms overlap, leads to confusion, and makes doctor visits a bit more complicated.
 nikkipro - Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:51 am

I am 42-years old. 2 days ago I all of a sudden felt extreme fatigue, as if I could just drop. I have never been this tired in my life. I went to my doctor and he said he could not find anything worng with me that maybe I was getting a virus and to call if I got any symptoms. I Still have no other symptoms other than just feeling extremely tired all the time. Nothing has changed in my diet or my daily life other than I just started back to school. I am still getting enough sleep but I cannot function, I am so tired. I am starting to get real nervous about this and I am wondering what is happening. Thank you.
 mrs_h - Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:58 pm

My husband is 30 years old. He has been in some sort of pain as far back as the age of 8 years old. He was diagnosed with Scoliosis when he was younger, but as of now, it is very minimal. Of all of the problems known to me, this is a breakdown:
(The symptoms I know of have been gradually increasing over the last 6 months, some were there prior)

- trouble sleeping/staying asleep (doctors prescribed sleeping pills but they do not work)
- extreme chest pains (worse on right side) [been to ER numerous time for fear of heart attack, but all tests come back normal)
- extreme pain in neck, shoulders, back, arms, wrists, hips, legs, ankles, feet, knees - just about pain in every joint of his body)
- complains of burning sensation in arm going down to fingertips
- complains of cold feet/hands
- blurred vision becoming a problem, even with glasses/contacts
- trouble concentrating
- gets nervous/shakes (doctors prescribed depakote, but not helping in any shape, form or fashion; i believe it is making him more nervous)
- others as well, but can't recall as of right now.

We've been to the general doctor, neurologist, rheumatologist (who said he would not say he had fibro because it is not good for a man), chiropractic dr., behavioral (they want to say all of this is probably depression), and have had a list of testing that all come back normal. He has been prescribed various muscle relaxers and pain medications that are used for inflammation, and none of them have worked. Each doctor gives us a diagnosis of "I don't know" but none of them will even consider Fibromyalgia because he is not a female. His mother and grandmother have both been diagnosed with this disease as well. I'd like to know if I am barking up the wrong tree with this way of thinking, or could it be some other problem I am not seeing.

|