Question: Numbness in my right arm and ankles swollen

butterflynthesky25 - Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:48 pm

Im so glad I found this website...been searching for over 3 hours!! Im a 26 yr old female and a mother of 2. Im pretty healthy but do have anxiety issues and panic attacks atleast 2 times a week. My medication - xanax has been helping however they are thinking they need to up the dosage to lessen my panic attacks. For about a week now I have had pain in my right arm that is almost constant...it's worse at night and wakes me up frequently...if it goes away it is for about 15 mins and then comes back for hours...on top of it all my ankles have stated to swell as well. Im 160 lbs and 5'6. Ive gained almost 30 lbs in 4 months! Please help Im going to make an appt. with my Dr. Monday because it is not getting any better at all. Any advice would help. From evryone that Ive talked to they have all said a Dr. visit is definately needed. My mother has a thyroid....could this be a thyroid issue??

Greatly Appreciative,
Michelle
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:51 pm

User avatar Thanks for your patience.
Hopefully the thyroid stimulating hormone and perhaps free T4 were checked for thyroid issues.
I agree that a history and physical is necessary in your case.
What did your family physician come up with?
Checking the neurological status of the arm, strength,range of motion, and tenderness are all important.
Regarding the leg swelling, checking for varicose veins, temperate of skin, any skin ulcers, pulses, or tenderness is a good start.
Keep us updated.

|