News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: skin biopsy positive for lupus

KLWalker5 - Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:38 pm

I recently developed a vascular rash on my legs and hives on my arms. The dermatologist performed skin biopsies on both to determine the problem. The leg biopsy showed a vascular rash she called PPP. My arm biopsy came back positive for lupus. She performed a second biopsy on my arm (an immunofluorescent biopsy) and bloodwork, but it will take a month to find out anything. I was just wondering what the chances are that the first biopsy is correct and I really do have lupus? Also, is there anything I need to do in the meantime to prevent the rashes from getting worse?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:25 pm

User avatar Hello -

Barring a lab error, a postive finding for lupus is almost always correct (there are far more false negatives, very rarely a false positive). As for keeping the rashes from getting worse, I would think the doctor would have given you any information on that which might be of any use. However, if it wasn't discussed, wait and see what happens, as there are treatments for these things. If the rash worsens you should let the doctor know and ask just what can be done to help abate the rash.

Best of luck to you. We'll be interested to hear what the immunoflourescent biopsy shows, as that would be the definitive one.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here