Question: Lupus

ejr02 - Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:02 am

My younger brother has been tested for Lupus recently. I think the doctors were trying to rule it out, but I haven't heard the results of the tests yet. The thing is, he has what I've researched and found to be called a "butterfly" rash, which is why they decided to test for Lupus.
The reason I'm concerned is I've looked it up, and found that it can be hereditary. I'm curious if it could have something to do with MY physical health.. if i had it.
I've had chronic health problems since I was about 3 years old, mainly chronic sinusitis. I cannot remember the last time I felt just plain old "ok". I live daily with sinus pain or pain of somekind. I've been allergy tested and the results were conclusive that I wasn't allergic to anything. i am allergic to both sulfa and nickel though. I've been to tons of doctors all inconclusive, all just prescribed allergy medications. This is year round however. I guess to help out I will explain the symptoms (of what I don't know) that I constantly have:
exhaustion (no matter how much/little sleep I get)
dizziness (could be due to the anti-depressant I take, I don't know)
numbness or tingling in my fingers and feet occasionally
poor blood circulation in my feet and legs
constant sinus pain but not always with congestion
frequently feel hot, sweat a lot from my face but nowhere else
daily stomach pain/nausea sometimes, was once diagnosed with "an ulcer forming from stress" ?
bruise extremely easily
scabs/sores on my scalp (scratch unconsciously and they bleed and cycle repeats itself), but not dandruff (the sores have been on and off as long as i can remember...)
dry eyes and worsening vision (and eye doctor once told me my tear ducts didn't produce enough tears and considered silicone tear duct plugs)
I know it sounds like everything is wrong with me and it can't possibly be, but that's how it is. No one has been able to give me anything that helps. I never feel healthy. I eat sensibly and excercise as much as I can, try to get enough sleep. I am just at a loss. And now I'm wondering if, since Lupus effects the immune system, maybe I could have it and just not know it. I hope I'm overreacting but I really need some answers. I've seen so many doctors and I just can't imagine I'll have to live the rest of my life not knowing why I always feel sick, when I'm not actually sick. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry this was so long.
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:23 pm

User avatar Hi!

I see that you are concerned if all the problems you seem to have is some way related to immune system of the body. You could be right in that people whose family members have lupus have more chances of having autoimmune diseases including and other than lupus (systemic lupus erythematosus).

The genetic predisposition alone does not cause the development of autoimmune diseases. It seems that other factors need to be present as well in order to initiate the disease process. It is important for families with members who have an autoimmune disease to mention this fact when another member of the family is experiencing medical problems that appear to be difficult to diagnose.

American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association

Sjogren syndrome is one related autoimmune disease that I felt you might find interesting to look up.

Hope this helps.

bill
 DaveT - Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:57 pm

This sounds like it could be MS as well.
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:11 am

User avatar Hi!

Why do you feel so dave?

bill
 DaveT - Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:17 pm

Sounds alot like the symptoms for MS and Lupus, and the two are often confused. I have just heard similar symptoms from people who have MS.
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:20 pm

User avatar Hi!

Which specific symptom or combination of symptoms of ejr do you feel to be related to multiple sclerosis?

bill
 DaveT - Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:39 pm

Hmm...

The exhaustion, the dizziness, the numbness and tingling in her fingers and feet, the heat sensitivity and the worsening vision all sound like MS symptoms.
 Dr. Russell M - Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:08 am

User avatar Hi!

I am aware that multiple sclerosis can go undiagnosed for a long time because of the sheer number of symptoms it can present with that may overlap those of other diseases. Exhaustion, dizziness, visual disturbances (here due to dry eyes), numbness and tingling can occur in a variety of other diseases, and need not focus a doctor's attention to multiple sclerosis.

bill

|