Question: Constant daily head pressure and chest pain.

Big Slow - Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:36 am

I wasn't sure where else to post this, but I am in dire need of some help here. I've been suffering with pressure in my head that can only be described as a kind of pressure at the base of my skull that radiates to the front of my head. This pressure is constant and feels like it makes my head unbalanced like something inside is trying to bend my skull. I have had this now for 3 years. Doctors don't know what it is. One of my doctors noticed the back of my throat was constantly red, so instead of doing a swab test I was socked with a 2 month supply of augmentin that did nothing. The pressure is also in my ears sometimes and feels like I need to pop them. It feels better when I lay down. This all started back 3 years ago I was working as an electrician I just all the sudden one day got the symptoms. Now that I think of it I went to a Christmas party and got sick off some cater food ( I'll never eat cater food again). I didnt think it was necessary to go to the doctors so I just let it go. Few weeks later I got really weak and felt feverish almost like I was going to pass out, and that lasted for a day or two and went away. Like an idiot I didnt go to the doctor. A few weeks after that I felt the pressure in my head that was only there for like a day. Then it would go away and come back every couple days. Now it's every day. I will mention that I've worked around alot of flourescent light bulbs and I read where they have mercury in them. I don't know if that could have done it. I don't even know what the hell it is, and no one seems to know and nothing helps. Headache medicine doesnt help. I can't focus on anything and I get so pissed at the littlest things, I often forget words and Im constanty playing video games to take my mind off of it. I feel like I'm losing my mind. A few weeks ago I just started getting a pain in my calf that wont go away, eylid twitching that happens every day now, and now I have chest pain that wont go away. The chest pain is sorta at the top of the bone that connects the ribs and underneath the adams apple. I need some idea at least as to knowing what this could possibly be. Just the idea of having this and not knowing what it is makes me go crazy. I don't know if I'm going to live or what. I did have slight high blood pressure last time I was checked ( 143 over 80). I'm not very physically active anymore because of this so needless to say I don't work, or exercise because it makes me feel worse. My throat is red all the time and I did have a CT scan done on my sinuses and it came back clear. Had some blood taken for testing almost 2 weeks ago and havent heard anything since so I guess thats a good sign. I had a anomalous metal test and western blot test with the blood work. I did go to a chiropractor about 6 months ago and had an xray done and they said I have and unaligned spine just above the shoulder blades ( like one side of my spine is wedged). I was given the treatment with syringe looking tool and some electrotherapy but it really didnt help. Crazy thing is is I don't know how I could have done that. I did smoke for 10 years and chewd tobbacco for 3 but I quit them both about a month ago. I still feel like crap but o well, maybe this was just the kick in the rear i needed to quit. I also had anxiety brought on by the use of marijuana when I was 15 (im 26 now). Those days are long behind me and I've learned to deal with the anxiety. This all just feels very life threatening to me for some reason like I always have this weird feeling over me every day. I greatly appreciate any help. If I forgot something I'll remember it later and post it here.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:47 pm

User avatar Thanks for your patience.

Looks like chronic sinus infection cause has been ruled out with a negative CT scan of the sinus and no response to 8 weeks of Augmentin.

With the pain starting at the base of the skull, I wonder about cervical spine. With an odd sensation near the base of the skull, a cervical xray series is indicated.

Migraine headache is also a consideration. A regimen of NSAID and avoiding migraine triggers may produce good results.

The calf and sternal pain seem like separate issues. Your family physician should evaluate these symptoms and give you some guidance. After a good history and physical, he may be able to reassure you that these ailments are not life threatening.

Keep us posted.
 Dublin1982 - Mon May 04, 2009 6:36 pm

Hey Big slow,

I'm getting the same symptoms myself.

I've been having weird sharp chest pain in my sternum for about a month now if not a bit longer. Then for the last 2 weeks I've been getting what seems like a sinus problem. (pressure building up at my temples and behind my ears that is eased by popping my ears)

I saw 2 GPs about the chest pains and they couldn't shed any light on it. I haven't been since the sinus problems started.

If you've found out anything more in the meantime can you please let me know?

Thanks.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed May 06, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanks for writing in.

Did the GP's do any testing (EKG, chest xray) and what diagnosis did they give you regarding the chest pain.

|