News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: finger pain

drakey - Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:32 am

I am a 40 year old woman.My middle finger on right hand is painful and stiff, especially in the mornings. I have trouble making a fist. I have had blood tests and x ray which has ruled out arthritis. Any answers as what this could be.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:29 pm

User avatar Hello -

While morning joint stiffness is often associated with arthritis, since this has been ruled out, the next most likely cause is something called "trigger finger", in which the tendons that control the finger become irritated, thickened, and eventually cause the finger to actually assume the curved attitude of pulling a trigger (even though it may not be one's index finger, the tradition finger used for pulling triggers). If that's what's going on, yours hasn't reached that point yet, and may not, but it may eventually get to that point. Otherwise what happens is the finger becomes stiff, sore, and may move in a jerking fashion when flexed or extended. It's a sort of tendinitis, and in your case it may remain no more than that. Since it is inflammatory in nature (even if it's not arthritis), it should respond to non-steroidal anti-inflammtories such as iburprofin or naproxyn. You can try this and see if it helps. Sometimes these medications can actually give the inflamed part relief long enough to heal and the problem doesn't recur.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck with this.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here