News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: 23 year old with pain and swelling in ankle for 4 months?

lou lou - Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi I am 23 years old and i have really bad pain and swelling in my ankle leading down my foot and into my big toe. The underneeth of my foot also hurts, the pain is alot worse in the morning but does'nt go away allday. The pain is right up to half way between my knee and foot. could you please help me, it has been like this for about 4 months. What is it?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:16 pm

User avatar Some questions about "Pain and swelling in the foot that radiates both down to the toe and up the calf":

Is the pain worsening?
Is there redness and warmth with the pain and swelling? Any fever?
Are you overweight? (may increase risk of ankle injury or arthritis)
Was there an injury or an increase in activity 4-5 months ago?
What kind of work do you do?
Do you have flat feet or high arches?
Any changes in shoes?
Does the pain start on the inside or outside part of the ankle?
Any history of back problems?
Do any other joints hurt?
Any leg weakness?
Any numbness or "pins and needles"?

Neurological problems (pinched nerve, bony spur, arthritis, lumbar disk problem) of the lumbar spine can cause pain, pins and needles, numbness, or weakness in the lower leg.

Otherwise a good exam of the ankle itself will be important as several local structures can cause this kind of pain: ankle ligament sprain, arthritis in the ankle joint, small fractures, etc.

Answers to these questions will help you prepare to see a physician who can assess the ankle in person. Also, an x-ray may be neccesary.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here