News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: taking an immunosuppressant

ben - Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:56 pm

hi there,

this is a complicated situation so i wont go into the details...i hope you can give me a simple answer.

if you are taking an immunosuppressant or if for example someone may have taken an immunosuppressant, can it be easily detected in the blood through blood tests? what blood tests would be done? would you have to know the exact drug to be able to test for it, or is there a test that can be done to detect high levels of toxic agents in the blood, which would suggest strong medication?

also, are there any blood tests that would be elevated as a result of toxic drug levels?

thanks i would really appreciate any suggestions.
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:33 pm

User avatar Hi!

Blood levels of drugs are usually determined for pharmacokinetic studies to find out the disposition of drugs in the body. So, there would be a test to determine the blood levels of most drugs available, the details of which may be inquired with the drug manufacturer.

Toxicology screening for drugs is usually done to determine the type and amount of certain drugs that may be present due to accidental or intentional overdose or presence of illegal drugs within the system.

Hope this helps.

bill

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here