News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: BAD sprains, much swelling

spiritdaughter54 - Tue May 06, 2003 2:43 am

:cry: I took a fall 5 days ago, saw nurse practitioner, got x-rays, they're clear. Told I have 2 "really bad" sprains on right arm; upper forearm and wrist. Is like pulling teeth to get info to help myself take proper care of injuries. At first was told no ice. Then the next day yes ice but no, too late, only first 24 hrs. Said use sling but am also using ace bandage. Neither is enough to keep me from painful movements. Prescribed Vioxx. Hand and fingers are still very swollen, almost twice normal size. One person told me it's not too late to use ice, is this true? Another said it should have been advised I wear a splint. Should I? Finally with 2 sprains (typing w/ left hand only) how long should I expect healing to take?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed May 07, 2003 3:31 pm

User avatar Dear SpiritDaughter,

After a trauma, at the begining you can use ice to help reduce the possibility of expanding or worsening hematoma, you can use ice for the first 24 hours some say up till 48 hours.

After ice, if you have a localized swelling you can use warm foments to help the body get more blood supply to this area to absorb the swelling faster.

i think a sling is used for fractures and not sprains. Regarding the ace raper you can use but be careful because if too tight then it will make the absorption of the swelling sometimes slower.

How often it takes for healing, it differs from person to person and i can not make any guesses.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here