Question: A continuous dull ache in my leg; makes my leg feel weak...

Yana Krassilnikova - Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:18 pm

Hello =) Hopefully you can help me!!!
For the past 5 days I had a continuous dull ache right behind my knee just slightly above the crease. It does not feel like a strain or sprain, it feels more like a vein pain... definitely not muscular. I did not exercise or walk too much in the last week (*due to holidays and being extremely busy with things*) =) It really bothers me and makes my leg feel weak at times to the point where I have to massage it. I went to the doctor and he briefly looked at it and said probably a sprain/strain. But it bothers me that it could be something else... Do you have any ideas?

Thank you and have a beautiful Holiday season =)
 Dr. Russell M - Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:19 pm

User avatar Hi!

I wouldn't bet against your doctor's opinions, since I believe there is no substitute for direct clinical examination. A "vein" pain could be if you are at risk for thrombosis, like in deep vein thrombosis (DVT). Heart problems are known to cause DVT. Have you had your irregular heart rate evaluated by your doctor?

bill
 Yana Krassilnikova - Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:50 am

Thank you for your reply! The pain is still there... In fact, my legs get more tired than ever... I checked my irreggular heart beat by a doctor, but he said that it's okay, and there are no reasons to worry at all... I now try to keep my feet elevated when possible but walking or sitting for long periods of time hurt.

Thank you very much!

Yana
 spiritedeye - Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:56 am

I just noticed your post as I was searching, and it sounded quite familiar. I had the exact same thing in my ankle a few years ago, and ended up seeing my doctor about it because I found it quite uncomfortable. She examined the strength in both legs and said there was a definite weakness, so she sent me to the hospital to be on the safe side. They examined the area that was feeling weak etc, but they couldn't find anything and didn't know what was causing it. In the end, they told me to keep an eye on it and if it got worse, I was to see my GP again. It lasted for quite a while after that, but gradually started to fade. I still get it every now and then, but it hasn't came back in a while.

Maybe it's just the same with you, and will gradually fade away? I know it isn't much help, but hope it makes you feel a bit better about it :-)
 Yana Krassilnikova - Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:24 am

Thank you, Spiritedeye :D

I noticed that it hurts more when I keep my legs crossed for longer than a minute or if I put my legs under me when I sit in an armchair, so I just try to avoid those positions. Hopefully it'll go away just like in your case!!!

Yana
 spiritedeye - Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:34 pm

You're welcome :)

Hopefully it will gradually fade away. Maybe if you walk slowly etc, it will help. I've got a habit of walking fast, so I end up limping a bit sometimes :?
 beage - Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:01 am

I seem to have the same problem. The only thing with mine is I have this pain all the time. It makes my right leg weak so I can't walk and I fall sometimes. I can't go to the store or anywhere else for long distances without taking a wheel chair with me.
Had this problem when I fell of a tractor trailer truck about 8 months ago. I had surg. on it therapy, MRI, Nerve test , and xrays. Nothing shows up. To this day my Dr. said he doesn't know what to do.
Top it all off it happened at work and Workers Comp. cut my check's off. I wish I knew what this problem is. I also get tingle feelings down my back ( like chills for know reason). I seem to stutter when it bothers me alot, my knee hurts when I walk. I can't seem to go up the steps with out it bothering me, so I don't. It shakes when I am on it to much and causes my to fall. Also I have trouble walking when I do, seems like my leg drags and doesn't move.
Any help on this would be appreciated since the Dr. don't have a clue.
thank you for your time
 cootieshort - Sat May 23, 2009 2:10 am

I have been experiencing a dull achiness in my lower legs the past couple of days. With a history of DVT, I am always concerned when I have any odd sensations in my legs. They feel achy and somewhat shaky at times, but I am not having any difficulty walking or standing. I am having a hard time getting comfortable sitting though. Almost like I have suddenly developed Restless Leg Syndrome.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun May 24, 2009 10:06 pm

A few things I think about with these type of symptoms:

hydration level
    electrolyte balance
    iron deficiency

Other consideration does include DVT especially with your history and neurological problem e.g. from the lumbar spine.

In any case, see your family doc for history and physical exam is recommended.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

|