Question: pain in finger

kayl - Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:19 pm

i recently developed a pain in my middle right hand finger,it only hurts if i touch it like when typing or reading or setting it down on the table. i don't see a sliver and i don't feel a bump.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:27 pm

User avatar Dear Kayl,

Did you hurt your finger? Is your finger swollen? Do the joints in your finger hurt as well? Any other fingers hurting?

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com

kayl - Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:58 pm

no i don't have pains in any other fingers or in my joints its in the skin i think and it only hurt if something touches my finger. could it be a pinched nerve? i never hurt my finger. it just happened. im not sure if it was from typing or what it was from.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:18 pm

User avatar Dear Kayl,

Thank you very much for the update.

Even though you never mentioned it, i will assume that your finger is not swollen.

A pinched nerve does not present this way.

i am not sure what this is but let's wait and see which way it is going to go.

kayl - Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:39 pm

the pain in my finger is still there. its so weird because it feel like a burn when u touch it more it hurts. but it hurts more when something light touches it like a quilt lightly rubbing against it. than me pushing on it with my finger. i thought it would go away over night but it has not. i don't know what my doctor could do for me. i don't see a splinter or cut. and i really don't know what could have injured it this way.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:59 am

User avatar Dear Kayl,

This could be the begining of an infection, i would suggest that you see a primary health provider to take a look at your finger to rule out this possibility.

kayl - Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:08 pm

i don't see an abnormalities in my finger. or feel a bump. what kind infection could it be? and how could i have gotten it? ive gone to my doctor quite a bit and i feel kind of stupid going alot.
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:38 pm

User avatar Dear Kayl:
I realize you don't want to go to the doctor needlessly. However, anytime you have pain it is there to tell you something. It is possible you may have had a microscopic scratch or a hangnail that developed into an infection. The pain is telling you to get something done to fix the problem. I agree with Dr. Mokhtar and you should go to the doctor.
Regards,
Carolyn
 kayl - Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:09 pm

i havent been able to see my doctor because he is on vacation. i should mention its not my whole finger or anything its in one localized spotin the right corner tip of my middle finger. i don't see anything like a sliver and im not sure if i could have gotten glass in it. do slivers act this way? the pain is still there but it doesnt hurt as bad it takes more to hurt it before if anything even rubbed across it like a kleenex it hurt but now it only hurts when i touch stuff like washing my hair or if i touch it with my nail.... ive always been worried about slivers cuz my aunt always told me that u have to get them out because they can go into your blood stream and kill you is that true?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:37 pm

User avatar Dear Kayl,

Thank you very much for the update.

i don't think that slivers can go to the blood stream. They can cause a infection and this infection may go to the blood stream and if left untreated might lead to death if severe enough.

Please, let your doctor sees you once he is back from vacation just to rule out the possibility of infection even though it does not sound like it.

Sometimes, the feeling that you have as increased sensitivity in your finger could be confused with pain. This feeling could just be increased sensitivity and not pain.

pokeadot - Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:48 am

himy name is victoria and i also have pains in my finger thats next to my middlefinger on the right. it is starting to change into colours (green, pink,purple) and when i try to make it straight, it hurts. i got it when i was at gym in school. i can't write normally or type well (using one hand). is this a really bad thing? what should i do to it? i put some ice over because my brother told me to and it kinda works. when i don't put the ice over the coloured spots, itturns darker but when i do put the ice over, it slightly fades away. please help me!
 | Seanzyyy | - Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:22 am

this thread is kinda old but i have a problem
i just started a job at a golf course and the sweeping and other things gave me blisters on my left thumb. i popped them with a needle (i held the needle over a candle because i read that that sterilizes it). a few days later i developed a pain in my thumb, only where the blister is. it hurts when i try to grab something, when it grazes something, when i touch something with any force. what could this be? could it be an infection? i want this to go away fast because i have a golf tournament in 3 weeks and it hurts to grip my clubs because it hurts my thumb. any help is appreciated =]
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:20 am

Signs of infection are:
    pain
    redness
    warmth
    swelling
    pus

You may ask your family physician to look at it to check for infection if you have any doubts. Otherwise keep it clean and dry. Protect the sore with a small dressing to avoid further trauma. And it should heal fine.

fallonmunch - Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:09 pm

I have the same exact problem with my finger. It's very sensitive and hurts horribly when barely touched. I have had this problem for over 7 years. My doctor can't figure it out and sent me to a plastic sergeon who tried to tell me I had arthritis even though he couldn't see it in the xrays. I don't know what to do. Please help.
 akrsmommy - Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:36 pm

I do not know if I broke the tip of my middle finger or not, however I can tell you that it hurts incredibly bad and has turned purple. What I did was smacked my hand hard on my dressar this morning and it instantly started tingeling and throbbing, about an hour later the tip of my finger turned purple. My nail is fine as that my hand was palm down. It has been over 5 hours since this happened and my finger is very tender, and is now taped together with my ring finger so that I cannot use it. I do not want to waste any emergency rooms time if this could be nothing, it just hurts very bad, and for me I have a very high tolerance for pain and this is killing me. Tylenol and Aleve have done nothing for the pain. Please advise
 Pengyreepen4 - Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:12 pm

Dear Doctor/Nurse,

I was playing outside with my dog and I was trying to hit the football out of his mouth but I missed and hit the ground awkwardly and couldn't move my middle finger on my left had for a few seconds. Now, I have a constant pain in my finger when I apply pressure and also typing. What could I have done to my finger?

Thank you.
 Pengyreepen4 - Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:09 pm

The other day I was playing with my dog in the garden and he had a football in his mouth. I was trying to hit the football out of his mouth but he moved back and I missed and hit the ground awkwardly and I couldn't move my finger for a few seconds as I couldn't feel it. When I got the feeling back, it was very sore below the first joint after my knuckle, on my middle finger on my left hand and sore when I apply pressure. Have I just bruised a vein or have I done something worse?

|