Question: Fatigue, brain fog and muscle twitches

zoran - Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:49 am

Hello everyone,
I’m 25 year old male with no history of neurological diseases in my family.

Around one year ago when I started working (I’m sitting a lot in front of the computer) I started having muscle twitches, which are distributed around the body. At the same time I’ve started having brain fog symptoms, which only worsen during this year: I’m having problems concentrating, my memory and coordination are poor, sometimes I can’t find the right word, I’m confused. I feel fatigued all the time: even if I sleep 9 or 10 hours I don’t feel refreshed after the sleep. My blood pressure is usually around 110/70 but it drops to 105/62 when I’m at rest. My hands and feet are really cold; sometimes I feel numbness and tingling. I don’t tolerate cold as well as before. Sometimes I hear buzzing in my ears.

My MRI is ok, cardiologist says that my heart is fine; neurologist also says that I’m ok, endocrinologist too. I did ultra sound of thyroid and adrenal glands, both of which were ok, as well as hormone tests. My blood tests were fine, except that I once had a higher level of monocytes (11.5% while upper limit is 10%). I don’t know if it’s important, but my mom quite often feels tired and has to sleep a lot in order to feel fresh.

I was repeatedly told by doctors that I need to relax, and that basically everything is in my head. It would be really helpful if someone had any idea about my condition.
Thanks,
Zoran
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:39 pm

User avatar Hi!

What exactly do you mean by brain fog? Have you had your blood electrolytes tested? Have you tried any medicines?

bill
 zoran - Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:13 am

Hi Bill, thanks for your anser,
As I said, I'm having problem concentrating, I'm thinking slower than before, my memory is poor, as well as coordination. Sometimes I can't find the right word or I use the wrong one.

I've only tried ginko tablets, but it didn't help much. I also tried to add more salt to my diet, but it didn't help either. Do you think I should do blood electrolyte test ?

Zoran
 Dr. Russell M - Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:27 am

User avatar Hi!

To assess if you do have memory/concentration/cordination problems, you might need to seek expert help. Abnormal blood levels of calcium or potassium may cause muscle twitches. But your doctor should be able to advise the right tests after examining you.

bill
 Maddie - Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:06 am

Zoran,
Did you ever find out what was happening??
I am having similar syptoms.
 zoran - Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:17 am

Maddie,
No, I still haven't found what's wrong with me. I'm currently doing some exercises to correct my posture and also I'm trying to find out if I'm allergic to anything. I only did blood analysis for total blood IgE level and it's slightly raised (126U/ml, it should be bellow 100). I'll let you know if I find something about my condition.

Zoran
 kbroad - Sun May 01, 2005 11:34 pm

I had virtually identical symptoms and went undiagnosed for years, even after seeing 10+ "specialists" who failed make the connection between my symptoms and my history of exposure to a Lyme endemic region [Cape Cod on Massachusetts]. I found your post the same way I made my own diagnosis, by Googling key word combinations of my symptoms like "muscle twitching" and "brain fog." That led me to a paper by Dr. Robert Bransfield, "The Neuropsychiatric Assessment of Lyme Disease" [you can Google to find it]. It should be a "eureka" moment for you as it was for me. There is lots of research /info available on the web. Best starting point is http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org. Good news is the prognosis is good if you can find a Lyme literate doctor who knows what to do-typically an extended course of strong anti-biotics. I've been on Tetracycline [1,500 mg/day] and now Biaxin for the past 6 months and am doing much, much better. Feel free to contact me directly at ken@lyme-advocate.info for more info as I've made it a mission in life to help as many people as I can so that you don't suffer as needless as I did.

Good luck!
 pbour - Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:15 pm

Zoran

I am in Sydney, Australia and I have the same symptoms. Mine started after a heavy dose of antibiotics and anti inflammatories 2 years ago, I got really sick in the stomach and never got better.

I have severe stomach gas, and some other digestive problems as well, but Brain fog and fatigue are the worst. I've seen heaps of doctors and tried dozens of things but nothing so far has fixed it, or even found out what the problem is!!

How are you now, Have you improved?
 Slimsbabyyy - Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:32 am

It sounds to me like you may have Fibromyalgia and/or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I have both. And I have those symptoms. There are many more symptoms that come along with both illnesses. Try searching those and talk to your doctor about it. Good luck!
 funky - Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:40 pm

This is in reply to Zoran's post. I also have muscle twitches, fatigue, brain fog, cold hands and feet and muscle cramps in my feet and legs (usually at night but not always). I also sit in front of a computer a lot (40 hours a week). Muscle twitches started shortly after being started on Synthroid for an elevated thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH). My TSH went up and down and I'm no longer on thyroid medication. I'm pretty sure I tested negative for Lyme disease several years ago and also lupus. I've tried potassium and magnesium and numerous other vitamins and supplements and diets. Mangosteen juice helped my fatigue and brain fog for a while but symptoms are returning. Nothing has helped my muscle twitches yet and right now they seem to be getting worse. I would like to know if Zoran found any help yet.

Funky
 RexRacer - Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:19 pm

PBour et. al - I have been suffering with Brain Fog and tinnitus since December and have little improvement. Some days are better than others. I use to run 3 miles four times a week and do weight training five days a week (now walk & some weights today - 3-4 days a week). Now I am more fatigued, depressed, irritated easily, which has had some effect on my relationships and work (unless I am really cognitive of my attitude and behavior). I contracted this blasted condition during the holidays when I was sick with the flu and upper resp. condition. I took antibiotics that I had left over from a year ago (now I know that taking this wasn't wise) and sleep aids due to the fact that my decongestant caused me to have insomnia. Anyway, one night I went to bed and the next day - brain fog and tinnitus. Again, some days the fog is lighter than others (especially when I am able to get adequate rest) but it is still there. And somedays the tinnitus is better than others. I have been to scores of doctors and had the plethora of tests done: MRI, CT, blood tests, hearing test, eye exams etc. and no doctor can give me a reason for my fog and tinnitus. I thought it was CFID but I took an online test and was advised it wasn't CFID or CFS. I have allergy testing upcoming and have read some recently on Toxic Encephalopathy - eviro poisoning. I don't know - has anyone gotten relief?
 reggietoga - Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:48 am

has anybody figured out what the problem is here? i know i still feel the same (brain fog, muscle twitches, sore glands, etc).

any suggestions??
 reggietoga - Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:05 pm

alright, i still have this disoriented / dizzy feeling going on, still have the same gastrointestinal problems. some days are better than others, but i feel as if im drunk all of the time.

rexracer, are you still feeling bad as well?
 sonear - Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:17 pm

Have any of you been tested for gluten sensitivity? One out of every hundred people of European ancestry are thought to carry the gene and the symptoms can include most of those you all have mentioned. What about free glutamic acid (MSG and naturally occurring MSG)? Have any of you been screening your diets for that?
 sincwen - Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:42 pm

I have been told that my symptoms (very similar to yours) are caused by Leaky Gut Syndrome. Has anyone else heard this one?
 missmissy - Tue May 26, 2009 1:57 pm

I know these posts are very old and I'm not sure if you figured out what your condition was but i came across your post and I have a lot of the same symptoms. Turns out I have a candida infection, which can cause an electrolyte imbalance and can explain the muscle aches/twitching. You should see a doctor/naturopath about treating it. Its pretty simple (although not fun) good luck!
 Debra Van Ness RN - Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:36 pm

These symptoms sound to me alot like those of fibromyalgia. I have it myself. Perhaps if they rule out everything else, they may find that fibromyalgia is what you have.
Debra Van Ness RN

|