News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: pain, moderate swelling on r. side of throat

smoosw - Sat May 10, 2003 10:47 am

I am 30 yr. old male in relatively great health. I feel fine and have no other physical symptoms except the following:

I have some moderate pain on the right side of my throat when I swallow. I feel some swelling (moderate) on the outside of my throat in that area. I have tonsils but this doesn't feel like anything tonsil-related. It feels slightly lower than my tonsils in my throat, isolated only to my right side. Again, everything else feels fine. Head, sinuses, rest of throat feel fine . . . no burning or irritation anywhere else, no cough.

Any info would be EXTREMELY appreciated. I will see a physician next week but I would like to have at least an educated guess/idea of what this could be. Thank you.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed May 14, 2003 9:37 pm

User avatar Dear Smoosw,

Thank you very much for using our website.

In my opinion, swellings should be looked at before guessing so you did good that you are going to see your doctor.

Swellings in that area could be caused by any of the structures present there like:
1. Skin (since it is on the outside) .
2. Lymph nodes.
3. Salivary glands.
4. Blood vessels.
5. Muscles.
6. Subcutaneous tissues.

Most of the swellings could be identified by their history and then examination. If a swelling could not be identified clinically or is suspicious then it should be excised and analysed.

As regars the history you have not mentioned how long ago did you notice the swelling? How fast did it get bigger? When did you start having the swallowing problem and the pain? The answers to all these questions help as to find out the cause of the swelling.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here