Question: finger pain

Lorna502004 - Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:40 am

The four fingertips on my left hand are very painful and feel hot. I can not touch anything even as far as putting the fingertips in water. There is a small amount of numbness and at other times they have a sting sensation. I have noticed no swelling but they appear redder than my right hand

What can it be?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:57 am

User avatar Dear Lorna,

This sounds like either

1. An irritation of the nerves supplying this area and since this does not sound like the distrubtion of one particular nerve, it could be either an irritation of the nerves supplying the nerves at the fingers or high up in the neck.

or

2. Local irritation of the skin of these fingers if they were injured simultaneously in any way like being soked in hot water, or slightly burnt by holding something hot.

If you have neck pain, then this is most probably a neck problem and you might want to discuss this with your doctor to may be have a neck x-ray.

If the pain has been there for a while and is getting worse, then you should be seen by your doctor to rule out the possibility of an ongoing infection in the pulp spaces of the fingers.

|