News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: finger pain

Lorna502004 - Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:40 am

The four fingertips on my left hand are very painful and feel hot. I can not touch anything even as far as putting the fingertips in water. There is a small amount of numbness and at other times they have a sting sensation. I have noticed no swelling but they appear redder than my right hand

What can it be?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:57 am

User avatar Dear Lorna,

This sounds like either

1. An irritation of the nerves supplying this area and since this does not sound like the distrubtion of one particular nerve, it could be either an irritation of the nerves supplying the nerves at the fingers or high up in the neck.

or

2. Local irritation of the skin of these fingers if they were injured simultaneously in any way like being soked in hot water, or slightly burnt by holding something hot.

If you have neck pain, then this is most probably a neck problem and you might want to discuss this with your doctor to may be have a neck x-ray.

If the pain has been there for a while and is getting worse, then you should be seen by your doctor to rule out the possibility of an ongoing infection in the pulp spaces of the fingers.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here