Question: pain in the right wrist and middle finger

nikson - Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:56 am

Im from Serbia and I am a mother of three.I have 33 and serious problem with my right wrist and right middle finger,in numerous cases I can not bend it and have a huge pain.I have been in Rheumatology Institute In Belgrade and do a x-Ray and it was normal,just like the blood results.Some of the doctors told me it is an alergy to cold,but I have the same problem in the middle of the summer when is 35C.My hands are constantly cold and when the pain begins the wrist starts to begin svolen just like the middle phalanx of middle finger.

Thank tou very much for consideration.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:43 pm

Thanks for writing in.
The pain and swelling in the wrist and middle finger sound like arthritis. There can also be inflammation of the shealths around the tendon of the middle finger. Bending the finger would cause pain. The most common area for this tenosynovitis is on the outside part of the thumb.
You may not find the exact diagnosis but should treat the symptoms of inflammation and pain with heating pad and NSAIDS like ibuprofen. During time of low or no pain, perform range of motion exercises and strength the hand and fingers with putty exercises. Use caution as too much exercise may worsen symptoms.
By the way, which labs did the doctor run?
Let us know how it goes.
 aniflora - Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:47 am

I am 26 yrs, having pain near my wrist and middle finger since 2 months. MY ESR rate is high n CSR is positive being RAF and ASO negative. Was using Ginox and Lefra by which my pains reduced bt after its completed, pain started again. Please kindly suggest me with propor diagnosis

|