Question: 45 year old with arthritis

lkk - Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:42 pm

I was wondering if you could answer this. I have been having trouble now with my knees. right above the knee cap. it hurts to stand and to straighten my legs out and to walk and sit. the other night for the first time my right knee popped sop loud it awoke me. then there was terrible pain. i don't know if this is just the artharitis or something else. Help! thanks.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:23 pm

Popping sound with pain above the knee cap should be evaluated by a physician and perhaps an orthopedist.

The patella femoral joint can be problematic if the knee cap is loose or dislocating.

The fact that the knee will not straighten fully is also concerning.

The integrity of the knee will need testing in the office too to make sure the ligaments and cartilage are not causing problems.

Xrays and MRI may help determine the cause.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

|