News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: persistant ache in left arm

mschmidt - Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:00 am

For two weeks I've had pain in my left shoulder area and this dull ache in my left arm between my shoulder and my elbow. Some mornings I wak up and can barely mve my head at all. Usually the pain in my neck/shoulder lessens however I end up with this painful sort of of ache in my left arm that even 800mg of Iboprofen does not help. I have had several massages and been to see the chiro for an adjustment - none of which has helped - at all. Another possible relative sympom is that sometimes while I am slepping, my hands "fall asleep" - that is I wake up and they are tingly and lacking of circulation.

The bigger problem is this ache that just doesn't let up. I've been taking valium just so I can sleep at night. My days have become totally unbearable.

Any thoughts as to what it could be?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:01 am

User avatar Hello,
Your hand 'falling asleep' when you wake up could be a manifestation of carpal tunnel syndrome. It probably is carpal tunnel syndrome if you have had this problem for some time (i.e. unrelated to the present arm/shoulder pain). If however, they are related then other causes need to be taken into consideration. Pain in the neck and shoulder that lasts this long could be the result of muscle strain from sitting infront of the computer for example all day. If again this is not the case an examination may reveal the cause, if not an x-ray is warranted.
It is important to note that if you had a recent injury involving the neck then it is normal to have neck pain as a result of the muscle spasm as well as the injury to the tissues. If this is not the case another possiblity would be a herniated cervical disk.
The possiblity of carpal tunnel syndrome alone warrants direct medical attention. Please read more on info on our carpal tunnel syndrome page.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here