Question: persistant ache in left arm

mschmidt - Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:00 am

For two weeks I've had pain in my left shoulder area and this dull ache in my left arm between my shoulder and my elbow. Some mornings I wak up and can barely mve my head at all. Usually the pain in my neck/shoulder lessens however I end up with this painful sort of of ache in my left arm that even 800mg of Iboprofen does not help. I have had several massages and been to see the chiro for an adjustment - none of which has helped - at all. Another possible relative sympom is that sometimes while I am slepping, my hands "fall asleep" - that is I wake up and they are tingly and lacking of circulation.

The bigger problem is this ache that just doesn't let up. I've been taking valium just so I can sleep at night. My days have become totally unbearable.

Any thoughts as to what it could be?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:01 am

Your hand 'falling asleep' when you wake up could be a manifestation of carpal tunnel syndrome. It probably is carpal tunnel syndrome if you have had this problem for some time (i.e. unrelated to the present arm/shoulder pain). If however, they are related then other causes need to be taken into consideration. Pain in the neck and shoulder that lasts this long could be the result of muscle strain from sitting infront of the computer for example all day. If again this is not the case an examination may reveal the cause, if not an x-ray is warranted.
It is important to note that if you had a recent injury involving the neck then it is normal to have neck pain as a result of the muscle spasm as well as the injury to the tissues. If this is not the case another possiblity would be a herniated cervical disk.
The possiblity of carpal tunnel syndrome alone warrants direct medical attention. Please read more on info on our carpal tunnel syndrome page.

|