News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: RA/Lupus/ how is it related to large tonsils?

cricket99 - Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:19 pm

Hello...I am a 27 year old female that is fed up and wanting answers. I have been dealing with pain for years. When I was 12 years old I had my tonsils/adenoids removed. I had suffered all my childhood years with repeated strep throat and tonsilitis. My parents finally decided that it is the right time for them to have them removed. Well after the surgery I was told by my doctor that my tonsils were "HUGE!". He went on to say that he was surprised that I was able to breath. He also told me that they fit in an adult male palm. I was shown pictures..and was allowed to keep them. I now can't seem to locate them. He went on to keep my tonsils and use them in a medical journal and show them at a conference that he was attending the following day.
My question is...Could that have been an early sign of RA or Lupus..or both? My doctor believes now that I have RA which was brought on by Lupus. I always thought that it was one of the other..but I was wrong. Could something have been done years ago that may have made a difference in how I feel now?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:01 pm

User avatar Hello,
I do not see a higher predisposition for RA or SLE in chronic childhood tonsilitis patients.

Rheumatic fever is an autoimmune response to strep throat and is characterized by multiple joint arthritis, possible endocarditis, nodules, rash.
My understanding is that rheumatic fever does not predispose a person to rheumatoid arthritis. Nevertheless, it doesn't sound like you had rheumatic fever with your chronic throat infections.

I tend to think the bodies' immune system would not tend to go into an autoimmune state later in life because of chronic infection as a child. I do not see any evidence of that.

Thanks for writing in.
Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here