Question: Foot / Ankle Numbness

hijacker - Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:22 pm

After snowboarding early December, I started experiencing numbness around where the cuff of my boot would be on my right leg. I also started experiencing tingling and numbness on the top region of my foot. Motor control is fine though. Since then, there has been no improvement at all. I visited my general physician and he really didn't have any suggestions, except to come back in a month.

Is this some form of Foot paresthesia? If this indeed doesn't get any better (it's been 1 1/2 months), what are my options and who should I visit - a neurologist, a podiatrist, or ?. What kind of treatment should I be doing myself beside massage?

-hj
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:32 pm

User avatar Dear Hijacker,

Are you having any back pain associated with this numbness? Did you hurt your foot or leg in any way?

Most probably, these symptoms are secondary to irritation of the nerve supplying this area of the foot. Nerve irritation usually takes a while to heal. Try to eat healthy foods that supply vitamins. Stop anything that might delay the healing of the nerves like smoking and drinking alcohol.

If it does not improve and you need to see a specialist i suggest that you see a neurologist.

hijacker - Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:48 pm

Thanks for the info. I can't say I've really had any increased back pain, my lower back is usually a little sensitive. I did hit an ice patch and got a fairly big bruise/swelling right under my knee cap, that took about a week for the swelling to disappear.

From what my physician said, it appear to be the Peroneal nerve.

I read information from: click here. If I don't have motor control problems, what is the likelyhood of a compression lesion along the nerve? I'm not experience any pain, just a little discomfort and tingling.

My main problem is that it's a great snow season here in California, but I am afraid to stick my boots back on because it'll make things worse. Thanks
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:55 pm

User avatar Dear Hijacker,

Thank you very much for the update.

Blood can cause irritation of the nerve endings where it dissects through the tissues.

And you are right, i don't recommend that you go snowboarding till this issue is resolved and most proabably you are going to miss this snow season.

|