Question: High Creatine Kinase level

NPAIN - Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:53 pm

I recently went to the doctor for muscle pains/aches. I had bloodwork done and the results showed that I have a high level of creatine which was 456. What does that mean? Should I be worried and what can I do to bring this number down?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:04 pm

Creatinine kinase is an enzyme released by damaged muscle (heart or skeletal) and brain.
This rise in CPK sounds like its related to a skeletal muscle problem.
Some cholesterol medicines (statins) can cause muscle damage and raise the CPK.
Some myopathies (muscle disorders) can raise CPK.
If this is suspected as a myopathy, an EMG and sometimes muscle biopsy helps diagnose the cause.

You will benefit from talking to your physician in detail about the test results.