Question: Migrating Joint Pain with swelling and pitting edema

legalgirl5 - Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:06 am

I do not know where to go for help.
My primary is now suggesting a Rheumatologist. I do have an appointment for later this month.

History:
I am a 46 year young female.
Insulin Dependant Diabetic on the pump.
Rheumatic Fever as a child.

In 2001, I became very ill with gasto issues. I was admitted for ten days with Crohns disease. My Dr. gave me a Remicaid infusion and I used Predisone and other such drugs for a several years.

Four years ago, I was in a car wreck. Within a month I was having hip pain. My doctor gave me several cortizone shots in the hip to try to lesson the pain and make walking a little easier for me. We quit the shots as they worked for a short time only. We were concerned about possible issues later from the cortizone. The pain never went away but the severity would lesson then come back full force.

I moved to the East coast three years ago and my new Gastro said I was misdiagnosed. I do not have Crohns but Diticulitus and Polyps. I stay on top of this issuse.

One year ago, I developed shortness of breath that comes and goes. Severe fatigue and short term memory issues. I also went through an embarrasing episode of falling down all the time last summer. I still fall occasionaly.

In November I started having hip pain again along with some mild knee pain. Then my wrist, hand and fingers started going numb on me. At Thanksgiving I came down with a hard bronchitus type flu. We used anti-biotics but the cough and fatigue worsened. I started having chest pains and edema.

Last month the edema became more pronounced. I saw my Primary again, who gave me more anti-biotics for another infection. Then a week later I thought I was having a heart attack. I spent three days in the ICU to no avail. I responed well to Nitro but stress tests and ekg and all the rest of the tests came back fine. Thyroid was good as well. I was still stuffed up and coughing. My gastro said that Gastro issues were not a problem either. They sent me home telling me my kidneys were good too. I do have an elevated white blood count. I do not know what the number was as "I never asked." Seems silly after looking at other posts. They also sent me home with support socks due to edema worsening.

The next week the edema worsened to the point I was looking odd. My ankles and feet were miserable. My knees are weak and painfull. My lower back is in pain as well as my hip. Every spot that hurts is swollen to weird amounts. Last night it moved into my neck and left arm. I am now oddly swollen and having a problem using my arm. To lay down is awful. I am stiff in the morning but horrible at night. I am now having issues walking and my ribs ache. I am grateful for the swelling as it reasures me I am not crazy. With the moving intense pain, it would make me wonder without the swelling. My joints crack, I sometimes have clicking in my joints and one knee locks up. They are now sending me to a Rheumatologist. I just wish we had anidea of what is going on and where to turn. I feel like we are grasping at straws and I am tired of living like this. My mother did have Stills disease as a child and now has RA. My RA blood test is negative.Kidneys show no problems with blood tests.
Any ideas would be helpful. Also, ideas for pain relief and getting rid of the fluid. Do you have any thoughts on what could be causing this???
Thank you,
Legalgirl5@yahoo.com
 legalgirl5 - Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:57 pm

I was just diagnosed with tendentitus, carpal tunnell, osteoarthritus, neuropathy and fibromyalgia and Mono.

Pretty discouraging to hear all of that in one visit. At least I know what is happening. I am getting some pain relief with the new meds.

Thanks,
Susie
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:08 am

Thanks for writing in. Stay active and all the best to you.
If we can be of help answering any questions, let us know.

|