News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: pain and swelling in right wrist and index finger

carpetbagger6 - Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:55 pm

I am an 35 yo RN who has been dealing with severe pain and swelling in my right wrist and middle finger for a few months now. When I get up in the morning I have almost no range of motion in my wrist. It takes me a hour or two to get where I can function.

I have been tested for everything from Lupus to Rheumatoid arthritis on several occasions and all tests have been negative.

I also developed a sensitivity to the cold.

The ironic part is my friend who lives around the block from me just started experiencing similar symptoms only its causing swelling in all joints.

Could this be an alergy, some type of poisioning or somthing else.

When I was on prednisone, the symptoms went away, but I cant be on such a damaging drug forever.

Please help!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:25 pm

User avatar Hello,
This sounds like arthritis and since rheumatological panel was negative, we may call it osteoarthritis.
It would be important to get an xray of the joints.

To my knowledge there is no pollutant which specifically causes arthritis. I suppose a heavy metal in the system may cause some problems. Gadnolinium for example can cause some skin lesions but this would be from contrast medium not in the environment.
Any potential for heavy metal toxicity. I would expect constitutional symptoms with toxicity however.

You may consider any occupational causes including repetitive use of hand. This may lead to pain and stiffness.

Take care and keep us posted.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here