Question: Could having JRA as a child effect pregnancy?

anime_lover260 - Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:39 am

When i was 5 i was diagnosed with JRA, however at around age 8 i was taken off medication and was released, i got regular checkups with the rheumatologist untill i was 16, when she told me she didnt need to see me unless i wanted to get pregnant.
I am only 17 now, and not planning on having a baby anytime soon, but i want to know why she told me that!

Would having JRA effect the pregnancy? create complications? or harm the baby? will i have to be on special meds or something?

This may be naive but i cant find a question like this on the web, so i needed to know, it has been on my mind.

Thank you very much!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue May 05, 2009 9:21 pm

The problem with pregnancy and rheumatoid arthritis is that if during pregnancy the arthritis flares up, the medicine typically used to treat RA is contraindicated in pregnancy. Since treating RA early helps decrease the risk of joint destruction then not taking medication increases the risk of joint degeneration.

Pregnancy seems to cause less symptoms in RA patients probably due to the immune system changes that protect the baby from rejection in utero.

After the pregnancy, there is a increase incidence of RA flare.

These are probably the issues the rheumatologist was referring to. The concern was probably about the post partum changes which may bring up a flare of arthritis.

Take care and keep us posted.

|