News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Subject: Snap Crackle Pop

Frinkle - Mon May 26, 2003 11:53 am

I’ve been experiencing a general decline in health in recent years. I’ve asked a couple of doctors and they can find nothing. I’m not looking for anything too general as was said by one tactless doctor, 'You’re getting old' :roll: . Nor am I expecting anything specific. Just some things to go on between these extremes, please. Symptom 3 below is the real problem, 1 and 2 are just a bit of added info on the timeline that may or may not be related or helpful.

Symptoms:
1. Stomach Pain: First ever stomach pain was about eight years ago when I tried some lecithin tablets. I found myself bending in half on the living room floor in pain. I didn’t connect it to the lecithin at the time, but did so only later when I tried lecithin again. Then a year and a half ago I had serious stomach acid and even got a couple of over-the-counter antacids, which is extreme for me. I can still feel the pain now at a low level, even as I type this.

2. Malaise: About four years ago I began to find that I liked doing nothing, just staring at the wall, out the window, whatever. I've always kept busy before.

3. Muscles/Joints: About a year ago I felt a tightness on the tops of my feet as I lay in bed. Then, within a month or so my ankles and/or feet began to make cracking sounds while I was jogging, which I found extremely disconcerting. At the time I was working out very hard, running around a local lake (3+ miles) and probably pushing it too hard on those hot summer days for my physical condition which is so so. (I had no air-conditioning at home, and possibly some black mold about.) I had been working out at Bally's for a couple of years, but definitely not as a muscle head. After a few months the tops of my feet hurt, and sometimes I could hardly walk at work. The same series of events then happened with my shoulders and lower neck (nine months ago), my knees then hips (six months ago. I stopped formal workouts then.), my wrists and finger joints and muscles (sometime more recently), and now I hear popping in my elbows.

Background info and risk factors that may or may not be related:
I’m male, European ancestry but live in Midwestern US, 43, 'young for my age' as they say, ten or fifteen pounds over ideal weight, smoked a pack a day of menthol cigarettes from 17 but cut to almost nothing during the last fifteen years, divorced, light to moderate drinker, wild dancer, cat owner, scientific professional with exposure to some non-polar solvents and chemicals not generally considered toxic.

If you can put some or all of this into some sort of medical order and point at something I would be greatly appreciative :lol:

Thanks!
 DeLWolcott - Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:28 am

Your physician should do some testing for arthritis, rheumatoid and otherwise, or possible causes of arthritic symptoms. Considering your abdominal symptoms, IBS or Crohn's should be considered. Unfortunately, age does do a number on everyone - no matter their activity level. But your case does sound extreme and merits further investigation. If your general physician doesn't wish to perform extra tests on you, ask for a referral to a rheumatologist or get a second opinion from another general physician.

Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here