News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: High sed rate/High c-reactive protein/low lymphocytes

Wanderlustrous - Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:59 pm

I'm a 23 year old female who is very frustrated with my body. I'm constantly sick, tired, and exhausted. The abridged version of my situation is as follows:

I break out into hives anywhere between 5-28 times/month every month since I was about 2 years old. I've been very sick over the last few years with mono, strep, gall stones, colds, and UTI/bladder infections. I'm always very fatigued sleeping 10-14 hours a day, my hands sometimes swell in damp weather, and there are days I'm so weak and faint I can't take a shower without some one standing near by to ensure I won't fall. These past weeks I've had a low grade fever, neck pain, and muscle pain that led me to the ER.

My blood work has come back this past week as follows:
Sed rate: 91
C-Reactive Protein: 17.4
Netrophil Count: 6.8
Neutrolphils: 77
Lymphocytes: 13

I feel like I'm chasing doctors, and never get any direct answers. I have an appointment with an allergist later in May, and also am meeting with a gynecologist in mid May. I'm concerned because I have HPV and had C1 cells, and fear that it has progressed to cancer. I also fear that I have rheumatoid or lupus (my mother has advanced rheumatoid) though I've had blood tests that show I don't. I'm only 23 years old, and because no one has guided me to the right doctors, I've hit nothing but "medical walls".
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed May 06, 2009 9:12 pm

User avatar Hello,

Some extra lab work may help get a clearer diagnosis. It would good to see a rheumatoid factor, anti-CCP, ANA, and repeat CBC. It would be good to see the total white cell count and percentages of differentiated white cells as well as red cell count. This is to help determine if you have rheumatoid arthritis or lupus.

Also, because of the multiple symptoms (fatigue, joint pain, hives, chronic and recurrent illnes), I would check the thyroid hormone and basic metabolic panel.

By looking at the labs and doing a complete history and physical your family physician can get a clearer idea of the specific diagnosis. The exam should include neurological testing (reflexes, sensation, strength, gait and balance) to determine the remote possibility of multiple sclerosis.

I also agree that checking with your gyn regarding HPV and high grade cervical dysplasia is wise.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here