News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Diagnosis of Myositis, need treatment

Shimmer - Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:56 pm

I've seen a rheumatologist. Due to symptoms and abnormal EMG, a diagnosis of myositis (probably polymyositis) is almost certain. We have scheduled a biopsy in 2 weeks. My only problem is that my symptoms are worsening and everything I have seen about this disease says that treatment is most effective sooner rather than later. He wants to see me 3 weeks after my biopsy. This means I will have to wait 5 weeks to even begin treatment. I let him know of new and worsening symptoms. His office just told me to see my primary physician. I haven't done so yet because I know there's nothing they can do for me. I need treatment for this disease. I need to be put on corticosteroids, probably Prednisone. Would it be wise to find a way to get on Prednisone before the biopsy? I feel like my heath is suffering and will suffer more the longer we let this disease progress. I am now experiencing dysphagia, aches in my chest, cough, muscles in my arms and legs are worse. I am concerned about lung involvement which will make treatment more difficult and will not help my prognosis. I feel I need help now and am being ignored. Any ideas on how to proceed?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed May 06, 2009 9:27 pm

User avatar Hello,

Because your symptoms are worsening, it is important to follow up with your family physician as soon as possible or if your respirations (breathing) or difficulty swallowing are compromising your ability to get enough oxygen or nutrition go to emergency department.

Along with polymyositis, I would include in the differential diagnosis myasthenia gravis, ALS, Guillain-Barre, and multiple sclerosis -- in other words consider neurological disorders as well as rheumatological problems.

Take care and keep us update on your progress.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here