Question: Dull throbbing pain in upper thigh

gwh - Sun May 03, 2009 10:38 pm

Hello there. I am a 26-year-old male who has been experiencing a dull throbbing pain in my upper thigh for a few days now.

The pain is not intense or shooting, but rather a gradual throb that lasts about three or four seconds each time.

It's always in the same spot, which is at the very top of my inner right thigh.

The area the pain is coming from feels like it would be about the size of a dime, then radiates to the size of a quarter before quickly fading away.

This has been happening intermittently for a few days now. Sometimes it happens every 20 minutes or so, other times it can be as frequent as every 3 or four minutes.

Like I said, it is not a terrible pain, but it's been happening for long enough that I'm wondering what it might be. To give you an idea of my health, I am about 6'3, 230 lbs, and a smoker. I eat relatively well (I'm no saint though), and haven't been very physically active since I took a desk job several years ago.

If any one can give me an idea of what might cause this throb in my thigh I would greatly appreciate it. Is this something that exercise might take care of (I'm hoping to get a gym membership in the next few weeks), or could it be a sign of something more serious that I shouldn't shrug off?

Thanks kindly for your help!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun May 17, 2009 9:29 pm

Although a thorough history and physical from a physician is the best way to accurately diagnose this problem, it does sound like it may be in the quadricep muscle and need heating pad and stretching as well as a walking program.

Understand also that thigh pain can be referred from the back, hip or knee.

You may start with some heat or cold modalities, NSAIDS, and light exercise and see how it does.
If it worsens or persists, then see your physician.

|