Question: Middle finger and ring finger pain at the main knuckles

geesedude - Tue May 05, 2009 11:26 am

Both of my fingers (left hand) are stiff, and can be painfully stiff with inactivity (i.e., in the morning when i wake up). I have no throbbing pain or even loss of motion in the hands; i can bend at the joints, make a fist, type, etc. There's slight swelling, but it doesn't subside with ice. I've also tried to put some heat on it, and it's better but as the fingers go cold, the symptoms return.

I've had this pain for about 2 months now - at first i thought i jammed my fingers playing basketball, but there's no loss in range of motion nor does it hurt when i press the fingers toward my wrists. It does hurt a lot when i pinch them on the side of the knuckles, which is odd.

The only activity i partake on a consistent basis is weight lifting - but i use gloves and there isn't any moves that would put a strain on the fingers per se; at least not more on my left hand/fingers than my right.

How can i rehab this (if i can at all)? Is there some kind of application or medicine i can take to make it better over time?

David
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun May 17, 2009 9:38 pm

For stiff and swollen left hand fingers for two months, I would suggest at least an x-ray and some NSAIDS for starters.
Since we think this is an arthritis condition ("squeezing the joints increases the pain" is a symptom of arthritis), some labs could be drawn to tell us about the type of arthritis.

Some types of arthritis

Typically arthritis labs include CBC, sed rate, CRP, rheumatoid factor. Other special labs can be added if lupus, rheumatoid, or gout are suspected.

x-ray helps show if there is any degeneration in the joint.

All of this can be ordered by your family physician who by the way can help you by added a complete history and physical to the above suggestions.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

|