Question: Severe pain over my entire body

earland7 - Thu May 07, 2009 8:36 pm

2 months ago I got a flu, fever, hot and cold flashes, nausea,vomiting, diarrhea, and a continous 3 day headache, this lasted for 2 weeks, the doctor said I was very dehydrated and my sodium level was low, after 3 liters of fluids he let me go home. At the end of the 2nd week my entire body started to ache, the pain felt like it was in the joints, then the pain turn so bad that I could hardly get out of bed, this lasted for 2 days then went away as if someone turned a switch. 2 days later the pain came back and stayed, my doctor put me on prednisone for ten days then weaned me off of it, now I'm on Ibuprofen and it allows me to move and the pain is managable but it's still there, when I'm not on anything the pain is so intense I just lay there and groan, this pain is constant, it doesn't get better and it feels like it's getting more intense as well, and the intensity seems to be moving up my body, at first the pain in my legs and hips and lower back were bad, now the worse pain is in my shoulders, elbows, wrist and hands. And the pain feels like muscle sometimes and other times it feels like joint, I can't figure out which.
My joints don't swell but they seem to give off heat, I have no fever, bowel movement is fine, no problem urinating, and I have constant fatiuge and my concentration seems to be lacking as well.
My doctor tested for RA, connective tissue disease, lupus, vasculitus and valley fever(I live in Az), and all tests were negative, he also tested for allergies and arthuritus, these were negative as well.
I enjoy weight lifting and have tried different supplaments but stopped those at the beginning of the year, I also started an intense workout, 7 days a week, and was constantly dehydrated, my diet at that time was lacking very badly, I was eating once or twice a day. I was eating the right foods but just not enough. This was what I was doing when I got the flu. I tried working out when I was on the prednisone and I felt fine, just the usual soreness a day later,no pain.
I go through an IHS hospital and my doctor seems lost with whats going on with me, but he does listen when I offer suggestions though, and with some of them he actually took action on them lol. Trying to get another doctor requires an act of congress here and I can't wait in any case, the pain is driving me crazy, I have no insuarnce so I have to make do with what I got.
I was wondering if you could offer some suggestions that I can take to my doctor?
Thank you.
PS: I haven't tried steroids, but I've tried other stuff that claimed to be as good, I always stopped because of the effects they had on me, they made me feel odd, thats the best way I can explain the effects.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun May 17, 2009 10:35 pm

Thanks for writing in.
Some other thoughts:

Mono would cause lasting symptoms but mostly fatigue not pain. Mono is thought to be caused by Epstein Barr Virus which besides causing Mono may also cause polyarthritis (multiple joint pain).

I would also screen for thyroid problems, diabetes and HIV.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

|