Question: Elevated ANA and SCL-70 and no symptoms

VG72 - Tue May 12, 2009 6:19 am

Hello

I was recently diagnosed with Iritis in both my eyes and have been treated for that. My doctor also ran the Rheumatic panel blood tests to find out why I got iritis and that showed an elevated ANA and SCL-70. I have no other skin or joint symptoms
Doctor asked me refer to a rheumatalogist but thinks I don't need to start any treatment as such since I have no other symptoms. In my last physical which was about a month ago, my cholesterol was slightly borderline high and vitamin D was low. So, I was put on crestor 10 mg twice a week and vitamin D supplement once week.
I am 36 yrs old, wife and mom of 2 boys and generally active. Work out 3-4 times a week and am otherwise feeling fine.
Anybody else who can relate to this and should I be worried about scleroderma or anything else like that? What is the typical course of action and prognosis from here?

Thanks in advance
Vas
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:59 pm

There is a host of immune mediated diseases and syndromes which can have iritis as one of its presenting conditions.

It is important to remember that lab results alone do not make a diagnosis. It sounds like you have no symptoms of scleroderma so can not diagnose it.

The course of care will include treating the iritis and monitoring for other symptoms in the skin and joints.

A repeat ANA and scl-70 will likely be ordered in a few months.

|