Question: Bakers Cyst

windymiller - Fri May 22, 2009 4:18 pm

I had a Bakers Cyst removed from behind my right knee 16 years ago. This reapeared couple of years later since op and have had it since. I was advised by doctor that if it gave any problems I was to have it removed again but I have had any problems atall.

However,, recently Ive been noticing a strange dull pins and needles below the knee on this leg.. Im now wondering if this has anything to do with the Cyst??

I did visit the local GP and he suggested taking my wallet out from my rear trouser pocket while driving, trapping a nerve,, it would not be anything to do with the cyst. Im not conviced!!

Hope someone can help?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:25 am

The wallet in the pocket suggestion is made under the suspicion of the sciatic nerve being pinched in the buttock. It is a classic recommendation to anyone who demonstrates some type or radiating pain or paresthesia (numbness and tingling).

If the sensation is localized to the knee and doesn't seem to radiate in a linear pattern along the leg, it may be caused from a local knee problem.

Baker's cyst often indicate a problem with the internal structures of the knee. If the internal structures are damaged and not fixed but cause swelling (leading to Bakers cyst), then the cyst will return.

My recommendation would be to assess the internal structures of the affected knee with a complete history and physical from your physician or an orthopedist.

|