Question: Incredible Pain in Feet, Neck and Leg Muscles Weak

markvosdogs - Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:28 pm

I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis last year (2004), and from that time till now I have gone down hill with concern to my health. I am under 30 and I have increadle pressure and pain in my feet, incredible neck pain on the spine and pain down my spine as well. I am now using a cane at home and I have gone to Rheumetoligsts who don't know why I am in so much pain, and my blood work shows o.k. and I took an EMG/NCV test and it came back fine. I am degenerating very quickly. Has anybody had any of these symptoms or any idea what this could be? Thanks.
 Kathy C, RN - Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:07 pm

Psoriatic arthritis can develop at any time. On average, it appears about 10 years after the first signs of psoriasis. For most people it appears between the ages of 30 and 50. It affects men and women equally. In about one of seven people with psoriatic arthritis, arthritis symptoms occur before any skin lesions.

Like rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis is thought to be caused by a malfunctioning immune system. Psoriatic arthritis is usually milder than rheumatoid arthritis, but some patients with psoriatic arthritis have as severe a disease as patients with rheumatoid arthritis.

Psoriatic arthritis can start slowly with mild symptoms, or it can develop quickly. It is very important to have as early and accurate a diagnosis as possible. Left untreated, psoriatic arthritis can be a progressively disabling disease. In fact, half of those with psoriatic arthritis already have bone loss by the time the disease is diagnosed.

It is important for people who seem to be developing severe psoriatic arthritis to begin appropriate treatment. Early treatment can help slow the disease, and preserve function and range of motion. Some early indicators of severe disease include onset at a young age, spinal involvement and the results of certain blood studies.
 French60 - Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:24 am

I do feel for you, I too have neck pain (have for over 5 years now) and over the last 6 months very painful feet and ankles. I went to an Amatsu therapist who suggested they were related! Over the last few weeks my neck got very bad and in desperation I went to see a sports massage therapist last week and I am feling MUCH better. Never felt so positive and with a much more freely moving neck than I have had in a few years (my husband confirmed this). I have also had ams and legs very weak and not working properly. Oral steroids have alleviated the sysptoms but it all gets you down. Find a deep tissue sports massage therapis and see if you improve - I really think you might wonder why no one has suggested it before. I think many of my problems are due to muscles not working and others trying to compensate. Everyone attributed my pains to Anklosing Spodylitus but my sports massage lady said that it is no wonder I am in so much neck pain because many of the muscles are not working in my shoulders (my feet are feeling a bit better too and she did not do anything to them last week). I have booked an hour session this week to work on my soulder and my legs/feet - I am very excited and feeling the most positive I have for ages. - let me know how you get on. :)

|