Question: Hyperhidrosis and Raynaud's Syndrome

Nascha - Tue May 26, 2009 9:04 pm

For at least ten years I have had bouts of facial, and total body hyperhidrosis brought on by lying down, turning over in bed, raising my arms over my head when reclining, using a hair dryer, drinking hot drinks, heat of any kind, or for no reason at all. It wakes me up all night long. Minutes before I experience the sweating, I feel a rush like an elevator in my abdomen, then start sweating profusely on my face, scalp, under my arms, breasts and behind my legs. I need water right away when this happens. I also have bouts of freezing for no apparent reason, even in summer, but the sweating is keeping me from sleeping.

No one seems to have any idea what causes this, and I have a lot of doctors. I have diffuse Scleroderma, and Raynaud's. Is there some relation, to these two diseases and any treatment? I never sleep more than two or three hours because of this, it's debilitating to the point I have to carry a small portable fan to get me through the worst bouts, even in public. My hair becomes soaked and sometimes I become really cold afterwards. There are different degrees of the episodes, and sometimes if feels as if it is fading in and out.

For years doctors blamed menopause, but no hormones ever helped this, and now I am passed the age, so though doctors are listening they don't seem to know what the cause is or how to help me. I haven't slept through a night in over ten years.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:50 pm

Some historical questions to ask with excessive sweatiness are:
    any headache
    any racing or fluttering of the heart
    any weight loss
    elevated blood sugars
    electrolyte abnormalities (e.g.potassium)
Affirmative answers to some or all of these question leads one to suspect a metabolic problem as the cause of excessive sweatiness. Examples of conditions leading to increased metabolism include:

The general physiology of sweating involves catecholamines and receptors near the sweat glands. Stimulation of the alpha receptors (Rhaynauds may have overstimulatory effect on the alpha receptors) and/or rise in catecholamines (seen in pheochromocytoma) increases sweatiness.

These mechanisms should be considered when thinking about the solution to the excessive sweatiness.

95% of scleroderma patients have raynauds.

|