News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: High RBC, HCT LUPUS & hashimoto's thyroiditis

BrownEyedGirl72 - Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:02 pm

I have had high RBC, hemoglobin, and HCT for a while. My CRP is also high. I found out a month ago that I have low vitamin D levels and I just found out on an ER trip about two weeks ago (due to severe pain in my stomach and chest for a week that hurts all the way through to my back) that my calcium was also high along with the RBC. I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (diagnosed in 2002) and was diagnosed in February with Lupus. I am not sure that I agree with the Lupus diagnosis right now. But, I have a hard time expressing that to my doctor. Other tests have not been done to rule out other issues that can be misdiagnosed as Lupus (I have been reading a lot on the subject). Could Lupus explain these blood results and are there other things that could cause these results?
I have been sick for a long time and have went down many dead end roads with different doctors - numerous putting me on antidepressants and labeling my problems as stress. I have fatigue that is almost indescribable, numbness (especially in my face and arms), strange sensations, vertigo and balance problems, I have problems with my blood pressure dropping - the lowest was 78/54 - when this happens I get really pale (white as a sheet of paper) and feel really weak and weird and my pulse rate usually drops as well.
I have been struggling for so long and I am now unable to work. A lot of times I cannot even care for myself. I need some answers and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much for your time!!!
Kary

Here are some of my most recent blood test results:
ANA - 1:320
Vitamin D - 19
RBC - 5.43
HGB - 16
HCT - 47.1
Glucose - 114 (Fasting)
Calcium Total - 10.3

Urinalysis -
pH - 7.5
Protein - negative
Nitrite - negative
blood - negative
Leukocyte - moderate
WBC/hpf - 4-10
EPI Squamous - Few
Ketone - negative
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:09 pm

User avatar Hello,
With elevation in hemoglobin, hematocrit and RBC count, I would consider seeing a hematologist with the working diagnosis of polycythemia vera.

There is a list of secondary causes for polycythemia vera and the primary cause of myeloproliferation.

The weakness, paresthesias and dizziness can be symptoms of polycythemia.

Again, a hematologist can sort through your case and give you a better idea if there is something indeed causing this elevation in red cell counts and if some of your symptoms are due to this.

Take care.
 BrownEyedGirl72 - Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:29 am

Thank you so much for your reply; I will definitely do this!
Kary
 BrownEyedGirl72 - Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:23 pm

I have just gone through a 24hr. holter monitor and an echo. The echo conclusions showed mild concentric hypertrophy, mild pulmonary hypertension, small anterior pericardial effusion, Tricuspid regurgitation. The 24hr. monitor showed minimum heart rate 51, maximum heart rate 121, Supraventricular Ectopy 638/22hrs. with 1 couplet, Ventricular ectopy 766, SVPB Prematurity 20%, Pause 2000 msec, no ST change.
Does this give any other clues as to what could be wrong with me?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here