News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Hard neck lumps and fibromyalgia

marina42 - Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:32 am

Dear Dr.,

I am a 33-year-old woman (5'4, 120 lbs) recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia after exhaustive testing. My pain has decreased and my sleep has improved with daily yoga and diet modification (I gained 7 lbs back).

But I still have several hard lumps in my neck that cause great discomfort. Three lumps are where lymph nodes would be above the clavicle and under the jaw; two are right on the SCM; four are along the trapezius, on the back of the neck. Some are as small as 1 cm; some are much larger.

An ultrasound, chest X-ray, a CT and a PET/CT, all in the last seven months, have shown no malignancy -- and no significant lymphadenopathy. A needle biopsy failed to show what the lumps are. My doctors say "reactive nodes" (for seven months?) or "scar tissue" and "don't worry about it." All CBCs are normal; no Lyme disease, either.

The lumps themselves don't hurt, but they make everything around them hurt. I also have constant rock-hard swellings and pain in my jaw muscles.

What are these lumps, since they are not cancer? Sarcoid? Calcifications? Does "scar tissue" make sense as an explanation (with no injuries or accidents)? How can I get them to go away?

Thanks,
Grace
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:57 pm

User avatar Hello Grace,
I am at a loss for what the lumps are given that all the testing has shown nothing of significance.
I may speculate that the lumps are muscular related since there are located over the muscle. They could be balls of fascia which cover the muscles. If so, then treatment would be myofascial release.

All the best to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here