Question: what causes numbenss,tingling feet and hands??

juli1004 - Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:12 am

I started to have headache and dizziness for 3 years now and i have going to doctors a lot and so far, the doctors can't find anything wrong with me. i started to get really bad hand pain. my doctor told me that it could be carpal tunnel syndrome so, i started to wear wrist guards every night and it doesn't seem to be helping. i hardly ever get a good sleep. i'm wondering this occur because i was taking medication??
i recently stopped all my medication because nothing ever helped me so i decided to take vitamins instead to see if i feel better. now, i started to have numbness and tingling in my feet. which is very strange. my doctor doesn't seem to be concern at this point. i'm going to see my doctor next month and if it doesn't improve my doctor will suggest me to take a additional blood test. i am so desperate every test i done so far, it comes out normal. i really hope and dream that the doctor could figure out what's wrong with me instead of telling me that it could be due to anxiety or stress or depression.

any suggestion??

juli
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:36 am

With headache, dizziness and limb numbness and tingling, I would do some screening tests for thyroid disorders and diabetes.

If negative, I might do an MRI of the cervical and lumbar spine and perhaps an MRI of the brain. Cervical spine problems can cause these symptoms (foot symptoms uncommon with cervical problems).

Another consideration is that the headache and dizziness could be an unrelated problem to the hand and foot symptoms. That is why the wrist splints were recommended.

Another test to judge the amount (if any) of nerve involvement is an EMG or nerve conduction velocity test which can be ordered through family practice. This will give you an idea if the nerves to the hands and feet and being affected and if so to what degree.

juli1004 - Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:30 am

what other test are recommended?? unfortunately, MRI won't cover my insurance though. i did an MRI of the brain through ER. I should ask my doctor since i will be going to see him soon. what does EMG test feel like. is it going to hurt?? could you please explain it to me little more detail?? i'm certain that i don't have diabetes because i have tested and it was normal. i'm not sure if i did a thyroid test. my mom's parents both have diabetes.
is there more question i should ask my doctor??

Juli
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:08 pm

EMG involves checking the nerve supply to the muscles. It will involve placing fine needles into certain arm muscles. The pain involved is minimal.

juli1004 - Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:43 pm

I went to see my neurologist and he told me that EMG test isn't neccessary. he thinks that since i stopped the medication so suddenly on 7/05/09 it might be due to stopping the medication. my primary doctor order a blood test for numbness and tingling and i guess it's all normal. my neurologist also told me that since i was taking medication for a long time, he told me that it could cause rebound headache.
I'm happy that i'm taking vitamins but am i ever going to get better? my neurologist told me keep excercising and i'll see him again in six months. i also did a abdominal ultrasound because i was having lot of abdominal pain and i have been vomiting alot with nausea. i doubt that the test won't show anything but can abdominal pain and headache could be related?? i've done all the test and it was normal that's probably why my doctor doesn't seem to think that it's neccessary to do the EMG test.
what do you think?? I'm 25 will be 26 in two months. I'm glad nothing shows up on the test but why am i so sick all the time with headaches and all??
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:01 pm

Headache and stomach problems together are common especially in migraine sufferers. The common thread may deal with serotonin.
If your headache is a migraine then addressing abortive treatment, trigger reduction and prophylactic medicine is indicated.
You should also be tested for Lyme disease if they any exposure to tick bite.
 juli1004 - Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:46 pm

i have chronic back pain for 8 months now. before my period started, i had severe back pain and even my period was over, my back pain was still in pain. i always felt sharp, dull pain in my back but this time i feel like my back is burning and feeling numbness and traveling down to my legs. i get severe numbness and tingling hands and feet. i have done an x-ray and it was normal and my doctor doesn't think i should do more test but it's been a week now i have severe back pain. i should go to see a doctor. i heard that flaxseed oil helps with the inflammation.

why is this happening?

juli
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:48 pm

Low back pain with numbness and burning down into the legs may indicate nerve root inflammation or sciatic nerve irritation.

An MRI of the lumbar spine in this case would be indicated to look at the discs and nerve in the back.

juli1004 - Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:57 pm

thank you doctor, but my doctor doesn't think that's necessary because I have done an x-ray last year and it was normal. I'm going to start the physical therapy again. I have been in the past but i'm willing to try it again. I just don't understand why my doctor doesn't seem that the test isn't necessary. and my insurance doesn't cover everything.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:43 pm

Standard x-rays do not show disc or nerve involvement so if you do have nerve impingement or disc disease, an MRI is needed.

lisa1968 - Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:22 am

I am a 41 year old female. 2 years ago I had gallbladder removal surgery. There were complications and I had a severe infection, developed pneumonia and remained in hospital for several days. As I was healing i noticed my right foot was constantly numb and tingling, also very sensitive to any touch. Told my surgeon who referred me to my reg physician who referred me to neurologist. He did nerve conduction study which turned out ok. Could not figure out what it was so just decided to try and live with it. Shortly after I began having numbness and tingling in both arms at night, waking up sometimes unable to move went back to doctor who did some blood testing and was diagnosed as being vit b12 and vit d deficient and put on supplements. The neurologist also had an MRI done of my brain and neck and noted that i had 2 slightly bulging discs in my neck although he thought that they weren't bad enough to be causing my problems. I started having intense nerve pain in both arms at night and was also diagnosed with brachoradial puritis at this time and put on gabopentin (this is seasonal and only bothers me a couple of months out of the year I only take the gabopentin on the nights that the pain is unbearable). For the past 4-5 months I have been waking up every morning with incredible weakness in my left leg (like I spent hours working out the night before)..the leg tingles and is very weak..until I am up for about an hour. Also, my feet and toes crack and pop all the time now (this is completely new) they are very stiff in the morning as are my hands. My grandmother had RA and I was wondering if this could be related? Or if you have any insight into what could be causing my leg issues. It is every morning. I keep waiting for it to go away but has been about 5-6 months now. I would appreciate any information you may have :)
Thank you!

|