News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: APS or Lupus which one?

hollyann - Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:59 pm

HI

I have reynauds, livedo, positive for APS and psoriasis on my feet, brain fog,transient involuntary movements which are only there during flares and some blood blisters in my mouth. My knee has been occaisonally swelling these lasts few months. Neg for any lupus tests so far. What is the difference between APS and Lupus as had hemiparesis last year but apparently it wasn't a stroke. Have some damage to my eyes and ankle and only just got myself back together and don't want a repeat of this last year just looking to be well and get myself the appropriate help. Not on any medication.Any help appreciated.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:23 pm

User avatar Hello,
The difference between APS and Lupus is a good one but the answer can be somewhat fuzzy and complex.

Primary APS is characterized by the presence of an antiphospholipid antibody in the plasma plus one clinical manifestation usually clogged blood vessels.
Besides clogged blood vessels, other systemic problems similar to Lupus can occur (e.g. cardiac, renal, respiratory, and skin conditions).

Sometimes the APS can be associated with other disease such as Lupus and can be secondary to Lupus.

Coumadin is standard treatment for APS as this helps prevent abnormal clogging in blood vessels in legs and to vital organs.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here