Question: dizziness, joint pain, headaches

lbg - Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:35 pm

about 7 months ago i woke up with a stiff neck which lasted for about 3 months. shortly after the stiff neck began, i started getting very bad headaches along with dizziness. these symptoms have come and go in severity and frequency but are still occuring today. i could better describe the dizziness as a cloudiness/ lightheadedness or a general sense of feeling funny. a few weeks after the headaches and dizziness began i developed an enlarged lymph node behind my left ear. after about 6 weeks it returned to its normal size. my joint pain stated with a sharp pain in my left hip which lasted for a few weeks. it later showed up in my right hip. i then began getting pain which started in my right thumb and index finger and slowly spread throughout the hand and wrist and eventually to my left hand and wrist. the best way to describe the pain is like nerves are constantly firing in my hands=( this pain also comes and goes, and although it isn't as severe as it was, it's still occuring today. and finally, my left knee has been bothering me as well. I had some problems with it when i was training for a marathon, (just overuse, nothing serious) but it got better shortly after. i haven't been doing as much exercise as i usually do, so i don'it think it should be bothering me the way it is. basically, my body has been completely out of whack for the past several months!! i have no prior health conditions, always been very healthy and take good care of myself! I have been to several doctors, where i have given blood several times and everything has come back normal. i had an MRI and i do they tested for RA and lupus. i am just very frustrated and unsure as to what steps to take next! i know it's not normal to have dizziness and joint pain for such a long period of time=(
 blue1979 - Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:22 pm

Did you ever find out the reason for all of your symptoms? I have been experiencing something VERY similar for almost a month now but nothing has come about. My doctor said that my ear may be infected and put me on anti-biotics but that doesn't seem to have relieved the lightheaded/dizzy feeling and my joint pains in my arms and legs cannot be explained. It's driving me crazy!!
 Dr. P. M. Aries - Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:43 pm

User avatar Dizzeness, arthralgia and constitutional sympoms might be part of a rheumatic disease. Even if the lab results have been nomal until now, they might be out of range some weeks later. I just want to say that nomal results until now do not mean, that you can not be sick. Anyway, I would suggest a presentation to the doctor every time when a new symptom is comming or if the other symptoms are persisting. Sometimes, lab results or X-ray and MRI will show pathological findings few weeks later, that means that a repeated investigation might be beneficial.
But on the other side, lymphadenopathy might be a sign of a rheumatic disease but can also be part of many other diseases like infections or others. You sould discuss it with your local doctor what he thinks about to exclude infection diseases or about the presentation to a heamatologist. Don´t give up. I´m sure that someone will find the cause.

|