News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Patellar tendonitis with swelling over the tibia

seally13 - Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:42 pm

Hi, I have recently injured my right knee when training at Karate/weightlifting at the gym (I'm not quite sure). I have had it checked out by my Karate Sensei who is a Consultant Rheumatologist and he says he is confident I have tendonitis of the knee. I have been wearing a tubi-grip bandage folded in half (to act as more of a support) over the tendon below my knee for about two days and this evening I have noticed a swelling along the inside of my tibia (this is not localised, it extends almost all the way from my knee to my ankle). When I press my shin an indent appears and very slowly fills back up with a liquid (it does not hurt to touch). I have been noticing an occasional tingling in parts of my leg and foot (both below and above the knee) but this is very sudden and only lasts for a second or two. What could be my problem and what should I do to treat it?

Thanks,

John
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:52 am

User avatar Hi,
Your symptoms and the signs that you recount makes me to suspect what is known as the 'Medial tibial stress syndrome'( also known by various names such as Medial Tibial Traction Periostitis, shin splints etc).
I so not know how recent your injury is.If it is very recent,one should try local application of ice cold packs and take rest with foot raised.

Other measures which may help are...
Stretching the muscles of the lower leg- esp the tibialis posterior.
Wearing shock absorbing insoles in shoes.
Continuing your fitness regimen with other non weight bearing exercises such as swimming, cycling etc (for the time being).
I hope this information is useful to you.Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here