Question: Excessive sensivity to touch & joint/muscle pain

twirlobsessed33 - Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:16 pm

I am currently eighteen years old. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Through the years, I have complained of multiple injuries coming up with nothing. When I walk, my legs go numb and I get extremely out of breath. I participate in baton twirling which causes a lot of difficulty when I get touched or try to do anything flexible. I have problems looking down to read. I try to stretch and be as active as possible. Both cause a lot of pain. I am on both possible medicines for fibromyalgia. I am willing to try anything. Please.
 Debra Van Ness RN - Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:07 am

I have the same disease. I can empathize with the symptoms. As for the numbness and tingling type sensations, I take neurontin. Lyrica can help with that too but it stopped working for me after a while. Talk to the doc about getting the med changed some.
Some docs will prescribe narcotics for fibro pain. It can be helpful. However, some hesitate due to this being a chronic illness. But narcotic pain relievers work for many of us and do not make us impaired. If the med is working to combat pain and at the correct dose, it will not make us high or impaired for most people.
Best of luck,
Debra Van Ness RN
 twirlobsessed33 - Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:40 pm

I have taken neurotin and it didn't seem to help much. I am on Lyrica and Cymbalta. It is impossible for me to read because of the pain in my neck and back.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:18 pm

Narcotic pain medicine in general is used with caution with fibromyalgia due to the chronic nature of the syndrome.

I've just learned of some interesting approaches to movement disorders (including fibromyalgia) - one in particular has helped a patient with chronic pain. The therapy is called Feldenkrais. The method teaches people how to move without pain.

A physical therapist trained in this method can be of benefit.

|