News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Fibromyalgia Diagnosis

dudleydude - Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:02 pm

I've been recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. About a year ago I started having a dull pain behind my knee. Overtime, the pain has spread to thigh and mid and upper back. It is a stinging, pulling pain, that only ice helps. I also feel out of sorts when it begins. The most distressing symptom is a tingly, numb feeling up into the back of my head. I've had multiple MRI's and nothing turned up. I also had EEG, and EMG tests, and they were normal. I've had several diagnosis including bakers cyst, chondro malacia, herniated disc, and on and on. I do not have the extreme tiredness that is common with fibromyalgia, and I feel like this is a catch all term when doctors are uncertain.
When I was a teenager I had a very serious case of the shingles virus. I have not experienced any type of rash, but wonder if all of this pain and suffering without the rash could be the culprit. It causes so much anxiety that I sometimes feel like the doctors think this is why I'm having these issues, but the anxiety is due to the pain, and scary, tingling feelings
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:04 pm

User avatar Hello,
Cases like this i.e. when the pain starts in the knee then travels to the thigh then to the back of the neck can seems confusing. How can these things be connected or are they?
Fibromyalgia (FM) is sometimes helpful term to described multiple areas of tenderness throughout the body in fact if multiple tender points are not present then it is not FM.
With chronic musculoskeletal pain, consistent and regular exercise with non narcotic analgesia are the mainstays of treatment. Good nutrition (5-7 servings of fruits and vegetables) and plenty of water (1/2 oz per pound of body weight per day) is also key.

You may also check some auto-immune connective tissue disorders like lupus by doing a rheumatological screen panel - ANA, RF, anti-CCP, sed rate, CRP and CBC.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here