Question: Fibromyalgia Diagnosis

dudleydude - Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:02 pm

I've been recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. About a year ago I started having a dull pain behind my knee. Overtime, the pain has spread to thigh and mid and upper back. It is a stinging, pulling pain, that only ice helps. I also feel out of sorts when it begins. The most distressing symptom is a tingly, numb feeling up into the back of my head. I've had multiple MRI's and nothing turned up. I also had EEG, and EMG tests, and they were normal. I've had several diagnosis including bakers cyst, chondro malacia, herniated disc, and on and on. I do not have the extreme tiredness that is common with fibromyalgia, and I feel like this is a catch all term when doctors are uncertain.
When I was a teenager I had a very serious case of the shingles virus. I have not experienced any type of rash, but wonder if all of this pain and suffering without the rash could be the culprit. It causes so much anxiety that I sometimes feel like the doctors think this is why I'm having these issues, but the anxiety is due to the pain, and scary, tingling feelings
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:04 pm

Cases like this i.e. when the pain starts in the knee then travels to the thigh then to the back of the neck can seems confusing. How can these things be connected or are they?
Fibromyalgia (FM) is sometimes helpful term to described multiple areas of tenderness throughout the body in fact if multiple tender points are not present then it is not FM.
With chronic musculoskeletal pain, consistent and regular exercise with non narcotic analgesia are the mainstays of treatment. Good nutrition (5-7 servings of fruits and vegetables) and plenty of water (1/2 oz per pound of body weight per day) is also key.

You may also check some auto-immune connective tissue disorders like lupus by doing a rheumatological screen panel - ANA, RF, anti-CCP, sed rate, CRP and CBC.

|