News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Methotrexate - lowering the dose

bumblebuzzbee - Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:57 am

I have been taking methotrexate for my RA for nearly 3 years now and find that this along with Brufen Retard nightly keeps most of my pain at bay other than the odd "flare up"

When I first started taking methotrexate I didnt drink alcohol at all as I didnt go out much and the last year or so I have done and Ive been out drinking. My Consultant has advised that its ok for me to do this in moderation but sometimes I don't and so I tend not to take my Methotrexate for a couple of weeks to give my liver a rest. As this doesnt cause me too much trouble apart from the odd twinge I would like to discuss with my Consultant about getting my MXT dosage down and maybe use another alternative drug to support it. Would Glucosomine be a good one to help support a lower does of MXT or is there another remedy that might do the job?

AS you can imagine Im not keen to discuss with my consoltant that I miss doses of my MXT as I know she wont be impressed.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:11 pm

User avatar Hello,
Ethanol with methotrexate increases the risk or rate of liver injury so do not mix the two.
Half the people I talk to report joint pain benefit with glucosamine chondroitin...the other half report no benefit.
Other than NSAIDS, you may discuss other RA treatments...these would be more aggressive than MTX. Still, avoid combination of alcohol consumption with DMARDS (disease modifying anti rheumatoid drugs) is wise.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here