News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Unexplained Multiple Migrating Joint Pains

cdw - Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:14 am

Hello,

I am a 36 year old female who starting about 3 months ago began having joint pains in my wrists and fingers. I work as a barista part time, and thought it was repetitive motion injury. At first the pain was only in my hands/wrists, and only at night after I had worked a shift. I would be fine by the following day. Then I started hurting while I worked too, especially if I didn't sleep well the night before, but got relief when I had days off. Then the pain started migrating from the hands/wrists to my elbows, shoulders, hips, knees, neck, the top of my feet, ankles, and balls of feet. At any one time, I will have pain in these multiple areas. (It's never just in my shoulder, for instance.) Also, from one day to the next, the pain can go from annoying (but tolerable without meds) to making me limp and take 5-6 ibuprofen/day. When it's really bad, I have to take ibuprofen or I can't fall asleep because I can't get comfortable. I am pretty healthy otherwise, and am on no meds other than ibuprofen 1-2 times/week. I still need to go to the dr. but thought I would fish for possible diagnoses first.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:00 pm

User avatar Hello,
With multiple joint pain in the hands and feet, rheumatoid arthritis is a possible diagnosis.
Usually morning stiffness accompanies the pain.
History and physical exam are important as well as lab tests (rheumatoid factor, anti-CCP, CBC, sed rate and CRP).

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here