Question: R Arm Numbness

tessach - Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:52 pm

I am hoping to get some direction as to what I need to do. A year ago I had a surgery on my right shoulder. It has long since felt fine. However a week ago my right thumb, index and middle finger started to tingle and feel numb. And yesterday my shoulder and arm started to feel "heavy" and tender. Is this something I am going to need to get checked out or is it a result of the surgery that will come and go? I had a tear in the muscle of my shoulder that was repaired.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:45 am

Your symptoms are suggestive of brachial plexus injury.

Trauma to the upper extremity and neck may cause damage to the brachial plexus.

The brachial plexus is formed of an arrangement of a plexus of nerves that come out of the spine (vertebrae C5-T1), passing through the neck and the axilla , to the arm.

Electromyogram (EMG or electromyography) is helpful in the diagnosis.
X- Ray and MRI are used to detect joints and vertebral lesions that could be the cause.

The outcome is variable and depends on the nature of the underlying injury, patient age and the followed of procedure.

|