News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: R Arm Numbness

tessach - Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:52 pm

Hello,

I am hoping to get some direction as to what I need to do. A year ago I had a surgery on my right shoulder. It has long since felt fine. However a week ago my right thumb, index and middle finger started to tingle and feel numb. And yesterday my shoulder and arm started to feel "heavy" and tender. Is this something I am going to need to get checked out or is it a result of the surgery that will come and go? I had a tear in the muscle of my shoulder that was repaired.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:45 am

User avatar Hello,

Your symptoms are suggestive of brachial plexus injury.

Trauma to the upper extremity and neck may cause damage to the brachial plexus.

The brachial plexus is formed of an arrangement of a plexus of nerves that come out of the spine (vertebrae C5-T1), passing through the neck and the axilla , to the arm.

Electromyogram (EMG or electromyography) is helpful in the diagnosis.
X- Ray and MRI are used to detect joints and vertebral lesions that could be the cause.

The outcome is variable and depends on the nature of the underlying injury, patient age and the followed of procedure.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here